Dr. Altaf Merchant MD
Psychiatrist | Psychiatry5500 Knoll North Dr Suite 290 Columbia MD, 21045
Dr. Altaf Merchant is a psychiatrist practicing in Columbia, MD. Dr. Merchant is a medical doctor specializing in the care of mental health patients. As a psychiatrist, Dr. Merchant diagnoses and treats mental illnesses. Dr. Merchant may treat patients through a variety of methods including medications, psychotherapy or talk therapy, psychosocial interventions and more, depending on each individual case. Different medications that a psychiatrist might prescribe include antidepressants, antipsychotic mediations, mood stabilizers, stimulants, sedatives and hypnotics. Dr. Merchant treats conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD, eating disorders, bipolar disorders, personality disorders, insomnia, ADD and other mental illnesses.
Education and Training
University of Mumbai, Topiwala National Medical College 1975
Grant Government Medical College 1975
Psychiatry and NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyABPN
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (ptsd)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (adhd)
- Adjustment Disorder
Dr. Altaf Merchant MD's Practice location
Columbia, MD 21045Get Direction
COLUMBIA, MD 21045Get Direction
Dr. Altaf Merchant MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Merchant
- Everything You Need to Know About Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapy treatment that involves a direct and practical approach to solving problems. It is short-term and focuses on changing the behavioral and thinking patterns of an individual so as to change the way he or she is feeling. It has proved to be...
- Drugs for Autism Symptoms: Repetitive and Self-Injurious Behaviors
Autism disordersPatients who are diagnosed with autism have certain challenges, such as having difficulty in learning language, as well as communication, and an incapability of understanding body language and expressions. They are uncomfortable in new social surroundings and with social behavior, in...
- How Are Family Members Affected by Eating Disorders?
People suffering from eating disorders go through intense pain and suffering. But they don’t go through this alone. Family member and friends also go through the pain. It is usually tough on someone to watch a loved one destroy themselves slowly when there is little they can do to help without...
- ADHD: What Is Talk Therapy?
Talk therapy can really be helpful to people living with ADHD. It’s normal for people to seek assistance from psychiatrists or professional counselors whenever they realize that they’re suffering from ADD/ADHD. You need to know that psychotherapy is very different from behavioral...
- 5 Tips on Living with ADHD
People suffering from ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) experience a lot of challenges. The symptoms associated with this condition can really be detrimental to an individual’s quality of life. However, being conversant with some useful tips on the management of such symptoms can be...
- Trypophobia and Other Strange Phobias
A phobia can be defined as a debilitating and overwhelming fear of a situation, object, animal, feeling, or place. Phobias are more evident compared to "fear" and normally occur when an individual has an unrealistic or exaggerated sense of danger about an object or situation. In case a phobia gets...
- Dr. Elsa Correa M.D.217 Main St Reisterstown MD 21136
- Allan Z. Schwartzberg9021 Shady Grove Court Gaithersburg Maryland 20877
- Dr. Alfred W. Forrester M.D.9515 Deereco Road Timonium Maryland 21093
- Dr. Gregory Alan Foster M.D.Johns Hopkins Hospital 600 N Wolfe St Baltimore MD 21287
- Dr. Gioia M Guerrieri D.O.4405 East West Highway Bethesda MD 20814
- Dr. David S. Arnold M.D.10 N Greene St Baltimore Maryland 21201