Tips for grooming
People feel good about themselves when they like the way they look. The same thing goes for Alzheimer’s patients. Assisting them in grooming themselves can definitely help in making them feel comfortable and happy with who they are.
Things to do when providing mouth care to the patient:
- The patient should be shown how to brush their teeth, but they should be allowed to do this as independently as they can.
- The caregiver can join the patient in brushing their teeth.
- If the patient has dentures, the caregiver can help in cleaning it.
- Rinsing the mouth with water after eating and using mouthwash once a day is encouraged.
- The caregiver can use a toothbrush that is electric, angled, and with a long handle to brush the patient’s teeth.
- Going to a dentist is important. There are actually dentists who specialize in Alzheimer’s patients.
Additional grooming tips:
- For female patients, it will be better to encourage them to continue putting on makeup. The caregiver can help in applying powder and lipstick. However, patients should not be allowed to use eye makeup for their safety.
- For male patients, they are encouraged to use an electric razor to shave.
- Visiting a hair salon or barber shop can be helpful to the patient.
- The patient’s nails should be kept trimmed and clean.