Adolescent Specialist Questions Speech and Language Problems in Children

My 6 year old has a speech problem. What do I do?

My 6-year-old daughter has a terrible lisp; she also has trouble pronouncing many words. What can I do to help her?

4 Answers


I would seek out a speech language evaluation through your daughter's school or a local speech language clinic. They can complete an evaluation to determine what specifically your daughter needs to work on and give you more specific strategies from there.
Good luck!
Make sure she is not tongue tied or have any vocal cored dysfunction. If this is a problem with articulation a speech therapist can help. You can go over words and pronounce it correctly and try to get her to repeat
Have a question aboutSpeech and Language Problems in Children?Ask a doctor now
Contact your local school district and request an evaluation. School districts are required to provide services for children in their catchment area.

Michael G. Martin, MD
Recommend audiological testing and speech therapy evaluation.