Social Work Questions Speech Pathologist

How do I help a child I adopted with speech delays?

My husband and I adopted a 2 year old girl with speech delays. How do I help her?

8 Answers

Please have your child evaluated by a speech pathologist either from your school district or a private practitioner. The earlier the better. They will guide you.
You did not say how old is your child. If young you can sing, read and talk to him. Depends on the kind of deficit.
If you have a child with a speech concern, you can take them to a speech therapist.
I wish you much success.
Find a pediatric speech-language pathologist in your area who can diagnose and treat your daughter's speech and language difficulties.

Dr. Katherine McKernan, SLPD, CCC-SLP
First, schedule an appointment with your pediatrician or PCP, talk about your concerns and ask if they can recommend a speech pathologist that specializes in working with children her age.
You don’t say how far into your daughter’s second year she is and also what kind of speech delays you are talking about. Many children, girls and boys, are not speaking more than a few words, especially if it is early in their second year. However, if it is late in the second year and there is little language being spoken, then an evaluation by a speech/language pathologist who specializes in early childhood development would be appropriate. If there is a college or university who offers a master’s degree program in speech/language pathology, this would be the place to contact. If not, contact your local department of education for a recommendation . Also daily reading to your daughter is a very good thing to be doing. Good luck. Best wishes, Darrell Lauer
Model, model, model and be patient. Read books, use simple phrases and find activities that interest her. Use her interest to teach language.
I would recommend getting her evaluated by a speech-language pathologist (SLP) to determine which areas she has a delay and the SLP will create appropriate goals to enhance her communication skills.

Find a local speech language pathologist to help provide an appropriate evaluation and treatment.