Psychiatrist Questions Depression

I think I may be depressed. What do I do?

I retired 6 months ago and have been experiencing ongoing symptoms of depression. Where can I turn for help?

20 Answers

Find someone who practices interpersonal psychotherapy.
Well to see psychiatrist for evaluation to whether you need counseling or medication or both.
Have a question aboutDepression?Ask a doctor now
Get evaluated
Contact a mental health professional for an evaluation. Should you experience difficulty in finding one, your primary care provider may be able to help.
Make an appointment with your family physician for a physical exam as well as an in depth evaluation of your symptoms of depression. You could have a clinical depression or any of several general medical illnesses.
Greetings! There are a couple ways you can approach your situation. You can contact the national hotline for depression and mood disorders or NAMI. If you contact NAMI, the representative can let you know the closest chapter in your city. You can also contact your local hospital or university to see if they have mental health professionals and services available.
If you have never had any prior history of depression, this could be situational based on a sudden change in your day to day routine. However, even situational depression can be debilitating. The options tend to be low dose antidepressant (typically monitored by a psychiatrist) along with seeing a therapist to help you develop some coping tools to manage this change in your life and get back to feeling yourself.
You can ask your primary Doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist or therapist.
If you think you are depressed,you probably are. See your primary care physician who can refer you to the appropriate professional for individual psychotherapy, to a psychiatrist for medications or both. Good luck.
It is a very common phenomenon when you have working through most of your adult life, then stop working to get down. Please talk to your primary care if this is a natural transition vs. a clinical depression. Keeping your self occupied with activities- exercise, reading books, picking up hobbies that interest you or volunteer work could help to a certain extent.
You should be evaluated by a psychiatrist and not wait any longer. Medical reasons need to be ruled out as a possible cause.
A discussion with your LMD is the place to begin. If you don't have one, you can get the names of mental health professionals from your local mental health assn. or local branches of the AMA, the APA, (psychiatry or psychology) Social Work association, VNA etc. Your previous job may also be able to supply information as may your local hospital. Most importantly, do not ignore your symptoms.
Talk to your PCP about your symptoms or make an appointment with a mental health provider to review all your options. All the best.
Probably the best first step is to see your primary care physician
If you are depressed, it is important to discuss your concerns with your primary care physician who can often work you in to be seen sooner than a specialist. Symptoms of clinical depression include having at least a 2 week period of time of depressed mood, loss of interest, and associated symptoms that may include appetite changes, sleep changes, difficulty concentrating, difficulty with motivation, poor energy, feelings of low self esteem, excessive guilt, feeling slowed down, and even thoughts that life is not worth living or of suicide. Some people also experience associated symptoms such as hearing a voice saying mean things about you or to you. If you have been having any thoughts of suicide or homicide, severe hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness, or hallucinations, don't wait to get help. You can seek immediate assistance by going to a nearby emergency room or by calling 911. You may also call 211, which can link you to local mental health resources and the suicide hotline (1-800-273-8255). There is even a text hotline. Simply dial 741741 and text any phrase, and someone will get back to you. You are not alone, and it is always okay to ask for help. Thanks for your question.
You should schedule an appointment with a counselor for therapy and if it requires medication management then schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist.
If your depressive symptoms are present for 6 months then it is most likely a clinical depression rather than associated with your retirement or other life circumstances. You can start with either your primary care provider for an initial screening and assessment or seek therapy to address psychosocial stressors or conusult with a psychiatrist for a full evaluation and treatment.
Recommend check with your primary care doctor about a referral to a psychiatrist who can do complete evaluation for medications, other medical causes, and for therapy....but I would start with seeing a psychiatrist but likely your family primary care doc may give you a referral...also, after retirement depression to some degree is very common..this is a huge life change...hope this helps.
It is common to feel depressed after retirement. As well as change in routine and failing activity, we tend to take for granted the multiple social interactions and peer support. Also time to address "what is my current purpose?"

I think it would be useful to see someone for supportive psychotherapy to help adjust to the changes, and also start some social clubs and groups for new retirees. may have some suitable groups in your area. Are you married or in a relationship? What does your partner have to say? Scheduling morning activities like walks, making breakfast, spending time outdoors, volunteering can all help.

Another option is to see if you can return to some contracted or part time work for a few hours per week depending on what you do .

If symptoms persist and are disabling, medication may also be an option, especially if you have suffered from depression in the past, but you would have to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation.
Dear retiree,

It is possible that you have feelings of sadness because you are adjusting to the loss of your job, being a retiree requires that you transition to a new life which may include a different financial and social setting or status. It is important, however to distinguish true depressive episode from a life adjustment process. Your primary care physician or internist should be able to screen for major depressive symptoms and refer you to a specialist and/or discuss your treatment options. Other persons that can help will include, family members, clergy or co-workers/friends. In addition, you may look for a list of providers within your area at websites like psychology today or the american academy of psychiatry. If you have insurance or medicare they also have personnel that can help you find a provider, by calling the insurance customer telephone number. It is important that you don't delay in calling your primary care physician or explore these sources of providers so that you can get the attention you need.