Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor (ENT) Questions Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)

Irritated ear?

My ear started to get itchy last week or so. Now it is red and irritated. Hearing is a little muffled but no pain inside of ear. The outside canal of my ear is red and uncomfortable and sometimes itchy. The back of my ear is also red and slightly warm (hot) and hurts a little, also the top of my earlobe hurts (pain level is minimal).

Female | 21 years old

4 Answers

I suggest seeing a dermatologist
This sounds like an allergic reaction either from a substance that has touched your ear or possibly a bug bite. You should consider seeing your primary care doctor. This may be treatable with over-the-counter anithistamines. 

Angela R. Sieh Ceretto, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA


Pinnacle Audiology, LLC

6809 S. Minnesota Ave., Suite 101


Have a question aboutEar, Nose and Throat (ENT)?Ask a doctor now
We recommend a medical evaluation by an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physician for evaluation and treatment of these symptoms and a full hearing examination by an audiologist.
I would visit an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor to be evaluated. Side note: if you have similar skin issue on the body, a visit to the Dermatologist would be in order. Also a gluten intolerance can cause skin issues.