- There are outpatient and inpatient rehabilitation programs.
- All rehabilitation programs include an a initial assessment, a detailed plan, group counseling, and life skills training.
Alcoholism can lead to several serious complications if appropriate treatment is not rendered in time. A number of programs are now available to treat this condition. Each program differs in depending on the needs of the individual, but all of them do have some common factors too. The first step towards controlling alcoholism is alcohol detox, where the withdrawal symptoms are supervised by a medical professional. Withdrawal symptoms are controlled by medications and progress is monitored. In addition, the patients are also educated about the problems with alcohol abuse, and the different treatment options.
The type of alcohol rehab program varies depending on the individual. For those who have been abusing alcohol for a long period of time will need a more intense program. Support and follow-ups are equally important for successful rehabilitation. Rehabilitation can be done in different settings.
The different types of rehabilitation programs are as followed:
- Programs based in clinic or hospital – In this program, both alcohol detox and rehabilitation sessions are given to the patient as inpatients. Once a popular choice, this program is now less common among people.
- Residential programs – In this case, the sessions occur in a residential setting. The program is divided into a number of stages with different criteria. During the initial phases the patient’s contact with relatives and friends are totally limited. This will help in developing interactions with other residents of the setting. Slowly but surely the patients are allowed to go out for work and then return to the facility in the evening.
- Day programs – In this program, treatment is provided for about four to eight hours per day in a hospital or a clinic. This program is ideal for people who have a good family support and a stable environment at home. The program is conducted in different phases, and usually extends for about three months.
- Outpatient programs – This program takes place in hospitals or clinics with outpatient departments. It may also be seen in community health clinics and counselor’s offices. To suit the schedules of people who are work, the program is usually conducted over the weekend or in the evening.
- Intensive programs – Intense rehab programs are conducted up to about 20 hours per week. This usually extends for about two to three months per year. This program is ideal for people with a good support system back home, and for people who are really motivated to go through the entire program. This is usually done in the outpatient setting.
Each of the programs has an initial assessment, a detailed plan, group counseling, and life skills training.