Tips for safe exercise
While exercise can be very beneficial, it can also be very harmful if not done properly. Below are a few simple tips that you should follow before doing any workout:
- Always stretch before you work on a muscle group. This will prevent injuries from occurring during exercise. You should do the same right after the exercise.
- Start slow. Begin exercising in 5 or 10-minute intervals before working your way up to 30-minute workouts. Try to keep the overall intensity of your workouts fairly low when you start a fitness program.
- Drink lots of fluids. Staying hydrated will help keep your body ready for the strain that exercise will have, and will help your body get the vitamins and minerals it needs for growth and flexibility.
- Avoid environmental hazards. Slippery floors, poor lighting, loose rugs, and tripping hazards can all lead to disaster when trying to workout.
- If you struggle with keeping your balance, exercise while holding on to a railing or sturdy table/chair.
- You MUST stop exercising if you feel sick or in pain. This is your body telling you that it cannot handle what you are doing, and proceeding with the exercise will hurt you more than it helps.
- Try to avoid getting overheated (MS patients tend to be sensitive to heat). Try working out in the morning or at night when it is cooler, or try working out in the pool or a tub.