Brand: Beconase AQ, Vancenase AQ
Generic: Beclomethasone Nasal
Vancenase AQ is a corticosteroid drug, used to prevent and treat allergic symptoms such as sneezing, itchy eyes/ nose/ throat, stuffy and runny nose. This medication decreases the inflammation (swelling) in the nasal passages. It is used also to prevent the growth of nasal polyps after these are surgically removed.
Read your medication guide and follow your doctor’s prescription at all times.
- Apply Vancenase AQ into your nose/ nasally, 1- 2 sprays in each nostril, 2 times a day per doctor prescription. Blow your nose to clear secretions and shake the container of this drug thoroughly before spraying.
- Always follow the instruction in priming the spray pump. It is usually done if it is your first time to use this medicine or you have not used it for 7 successive days.
- Press one of your nostrils (opposite to the nostril where you will apply this medication) with your finger and slightly tilt your head forward. While keeping the bottle upright, gently insert the nasal applicator into the other nostril (not on the nasal septum or middle wall of the nose) and push down on the pump to deliver the required number of sprays.
- After spraying, inhale through your nose (hold your breath for few seconds) and exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat the steps to the other nostril. Do not blow your nose for 15 minutes thereafter.
- After using, clean the tip of the applicator and secure the safety clip and the plastic cap.
- Make a regular appointment with your doctor. You will be submitted for certain medical test (nose exam, eye exam and height measurement in children) to make sure that this medication does not cause any harmful effect. In children, chronic use of this medicine can slow down growth.
- The dosage is based on your age, weight, medical condition and your treatment response. Do not adjust your dose without your doctor’s recommendation.
- Avoid getting contact with the people who have an existing infection (i.e. measles, flu, chicken pox). Inform your doctor right away if you have been exposed.
- Always monitor and record the number of sprays you have used from the bottle. Avoid transferring the remaining content of this medication into another bottle or container.
- Continue using Vancenase AQ on regular schedule (at the same time of the day). Do not stop using this medication abruptly without consulting your doctor. It may take 3- 14 days before you notice the effect of this medication.
Inform your doctor immediately if your condition aggravates or does not improve after 3 weeks of treatment.
Apply your missed dose as soon as possible. However, make sure that the time interval between the missed dose and the next dose are not too close. Otherwise, skip the missed dose and stick with the regular dosing schedule. Never double the dose to cover up a missed dose. Make sure also to record on the missed dose and contact your doctor if you miss several doses.
Vancenase AQ may interact with:
- Any other corticosteroid (i.e. prednisone)
Some drugs may either lessen the beneficial effects or worsen the side effects of Vancenase AQ. Likewise, Vancenase AQ may make some drugs less efficient or intensify their side effects.
Make sure to inform your doctor about all other drugs you are currently taking or using (prescribed and non-prescribed medications including vitamins, minerals and herbal products) to check for possible drug interaction with Vancenase AQ.
Never alter the doses of other medications while on Vancenase AQ neither stop nor start any medicine without the doctor’s recommendation.
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking Vancenase AQ, tell your health care provider if you have/are:
- Any allergies to any substance, food or medication, particularly to beclomethasone (Vancenase AQ)
- Medical history or a present condition such as:
- Pregnant, planning to get pregnant or currently breastfeeding a child (It is not known if Vancenase AQ can harm the unborn child or if it can pass through breast milk that may harm the nursing child. The risks and benefits should be discussed with your doctor thoroughly before taking this medication.)