Chiropractor Questions Hunchback

My back has become very hunched. Should I see a chiropractor?

My back has become very hunched. Can a chiropractor help with this?

17 Answers

A chiropractor can help evaluate your condition and either help if it is in their scope, or point you in the right direction of what will help you the best.
We have done wonders to correct postural changes in patients. Patient have seen dramatic correction in their functional improvements.
Yes! A chiropractor will identify any postural deficiencies and give you a plan to fix them.
It all depends on what’s causing you to become hunched over. If it is due to osteoporosis and a compression fracture, Chiropractic will not help. However, if it is a structural and postural problem, Chiropractic can often help.
Yes. Chiropractors can also help with posture
A chiropractor can help mobilize the upper back and neck. Once the neck and upper thoracic have normal range of motion it is easier to have better posture. Exercises and sometimes just postural changes can help with your hunching ie:kyphosis.
Yes, to answer your question. Xrays would help also to determine if osteoporosis or degeneration is the cause or just poor posture. Hope i helped. Got your back! Dr. Todd Gewant
You must take x-rays first to make sure you do not suffer from severe osteoporosis which would be a contraindication to spinal manipulation.
Yes it would be helpful, but a chiropractic neurologist would be best because changes in the brain are often the cause of this kind of postural change and including brain care with chiropractic would be ideal.
Yes for sure. If you're in NJ we would be happy to help you. Our contact info is 201-265-0555.
Appearance benefits with good posture are obvious, but there are many less-obvious health benefits you should know. Good posture can:

Maintain correct alignment of bones and joints
Reduce stress on ligaments, minimizing risk of injury
Prevent muscle strain, overuse and pain
Conserve energy as muscles are used more efficiently
Decrease abnormal joint wear
Research has shown that poor postures may increase feelings of depression, affect your digestive tract and influence confidence and stress levels.

Signs You have Poor Posture
There are many indicators of poor posture, but some of the more common are hunched shoulders, rounded shoulders, rounded upper back, forward head carriage and arched lower back. Another indicator is back pain. Unsure if you have good posture? Talk to your chiropractor or schedule an appointment for a spinal examination.

Factors that Contribute to Poor Posture
There are several common factors linked to poor posture:

Weak postural muscles
Abnormally tight muscles
High-heeled shoes
How to Maintain or Correct Posture
The first step is awareness! Bring your attention to your posture as you sit, stand or lie down. If you're sitting, keep both feet on the floor or a footrest, don't cross your legs and use low-back support. While standing, keep your knees slightly bent, relax your arms and pull your shoulders back. When lying down it's critical to choose the right mattress and pillow, and avoid sleeping on your stomach.

Importance of Chiropractic Care and Therapies
Your chiropractor can help you to maintain and correct your posture through chiropractic adjustments, exercises and recommendations on proper positions during different activities.
A chiropractor should be able to help to some degree with this, but it depends on complicating factors. If there is any arthritis or degenerative changes it could change how dramatic of results you can expect. I would recommend going to see a chiropractor and they can give you an assessment and let you know how much improvement you can achieve. Hope this helps!
It depends. When evaluating structural changes with in the spine, especially if those changes are causing postural abnormalities, it’s first important to determine if there may be some other potential issues causing the hunched posture. As an example, osteoporosis can be a major contributing factor to a hunched position.

Then, after a thorough neuromuscular examination we can often determine how involved the soft tissues are in relation to these changes, and how they may effect pain levels, range of motion and, ultimately, effects on activities of daily living.

Moving forward, when all these factors are taken into consideration, it gives the doctor a better understanding of the patients particular subjective and objective issues and allows them to create a treatment plan specific to that patient.
Depends on the cause of the hunch. If it is from muscle weakness due to de-conditioning and posture and subluxation, yes, chiropractics can help. If you have had a stress fracture
or osteoporosis fracture causing the change in your back, it will not help as much for the hunch. You will always benefit neurologically from an adjustment.
Yes, if it is due to bad posture. If it is due to osteoporosis or advanced intervertebral disc degeneration, no.

I’m assuming by hunched you are referring to your upper back and neck being stuck forward. I would consult with a chiropractor for an evaluation as this is a common complaint people have. Many times, it’s something postural that can be corrected with special exercises and work on the soft tissues. It can also be that the joints of the spine are locked in a flexed position. A chiropractor can help with that as well. It is also possible that some of the bodies of the vertebrae have collapsed. That is not really correctable as it is a spinal compression fracture usually related to osteoporosis as the front of the vertebrae collapses as it is the weakest part and that turns the bones into a wedge shape instead of being more square. There are a few other causes as well that are less common.

But, a chiropractor can easily determine what is causing your concern with a simple exam and just a couple X-rays of the area. Once the cause is determined, the chiropractor should offer you treatment recommendations to correct the problem or suggest a referral to another specialist if needed. Just do not wait too long before seeking an evaluation. These problems tend to worsen over time and also become more permanent and harder to treat. The sooner you act, the better your prognosis will be. :)

I hope this helps,

Dr. Ryan Hanson
Yes yesterday!
Usually, things will happen with age. Not knowing your age, it is difficult for me to say. The short answer is yes, they might be able to help with any pain related to the hunching.