Chiropractor Questions Hunchback

How can I correct the hunch in my back?

I have a hunched back, and I'm only in my thirties. Is there anything I can do to correct it?

15 Answers

Further study has to be made to evaluate your spine.
I suggest you see an Orthoedic Doctor or Orthopedic Spine Surgeon for further analysis with Diagnostic Studies.
Hunched back can be helped by Chiropractic manipulation and postural exercises through physical therapy.
Start out with chiropractic care. The hunch comes from the thoracic spine which is between your neck and lower back----then you need to start a serious exercise program---also wearing a thoracic back brace will help....
There are many things you can you. Being aware of your posture while you are sitting or standing would be a good start. Working on keeping your shoulders back will help open up your chest area and in time may help decrease your "hunched back." You may find useful information on how to correct thoracic hyperkyphosis (the medical terminology) on the internet but prior to beginning any self-treatment, it may be wise to consult a professional.
That depends. Often this is caused by crossed syndrome – you can look it up on the Internet. But I would check with my doctor to make sure you don't have something more serious that could be causing compression fractures in your vertebrae.
Find a corrective care chiropractor who specializes in a technique called CBP
Yes, excessive spinal curvature of your upper back is called a hyperkyphosis. Studies demonstrate that although chiropractic adjustments alone do not reduce this, extension based traction (mechanical stretching) may be able to reduce your excessive curvature over time. The particular technique publishing studies demonstrating correction is called Chiropractic BioPhysics or CBP. You can find a CBP certified chiropractor at
First, I would seek an orthopedic evaluation. This is likely posture related which can be improved with physical therapy, however the deformity could be structurally rigid from a variety of conditions that may require evaluation and specific treatments.

Steven Sanders MD
Yes. Usually ,the hunch comes from an exaggerated thoracic curve (kyphosis), forward shoulders and a forward head position. Start by stretching your chest and the front of your shoulders, then strengthen the muscles between your shoulder blades (trapezius and rhomboids). Next, do extension exercises for your neck like looking up at the ceiling 30 times 3x/day. You should start seeing postural changes. If you want faster changes, consult a chiropractic physician or physical therapist.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Eric Miller
One of the best exercises I’ve seen for that are called wall angels. Great way to help correct the slumping back. You also need to get some chiropractic care to get some movement in the areas that are restricted. Those areas tend to contribute to the poor posture.

Vishal K. Verma, DC, CCSP
Not likely. You probably have Scheuermann’s Kyphosis. It is a fixed spinal problem. You need to see a doctor who specializes in spine and have an X-ray.
Hi again,

Here is another set of great exercises for the mid back:

In health,

Dr. Moon
Chiropractic care can improve the mobility in the upper back and neck - and this combined with postural correction (via exercises and daily ergonomic modifications) can improve the curvature in the upper back (decrease the hunched-back appearance).

Dr. Munse
Yes, there are many corrective exercises and stretches that can be found on YouTube. I personally see the best results for this issue with "Wall Angel" exercises and chest stretches using a doorway or the corner of 2 walls.