Psychiatrist Questions Psychiatrist

My child with autism has severe OCD?

My 6 year old son has autism and he has really debilitating OCD. How can I help him?

5 Answers

There are many ways to help. First is establishing a comfort zone. Please feel free to visit for more helpful hints.
That must be so challenging! Have you heard of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy before? Many experts consider ABA to be the gold-standard treatment for children with autism or other developmental conditions. But it is sometimes used in the treatment of other conditions as well, including OCD. Given his diagnosis and challenges that he is facing, I highly recommend asking your Doctor/Psychologist for a referral for ABA services. I commend your initiative in seeking help! I wish you all the best.

I would reach out to a psychologist who specializes in OCD and has experience with people who have Autism. I am a Speech Pathologist and we do not treat OCD.
Best of luck!

Karen Young, MS CCC-SLP

I would seek out occupational therapy for him!

Ali Matisse, MS CCC-SLP
See this link for some insight into your question:,is%20unrelated%20to%20distress%2C%20compulsions