OB-GYN (Obstetrician-Gynecologist) Questions Cancer

Does an OB-GYN also carry out tests to detect cancer in women?

There is a lot I have heard about OB-GYN's looking into/looking for cases of cervical and breast cancer in patients. Is an OB-GYN the best kind of specialist to diagnose and treat cancers in women patients?

5 Answers

An OBGYN is the specialist to go to if you are looking for the Gardasil vaccination. Gardasil protects against the most high risk types of HPV, a virus which causes most cases of cervical cancer. To date, it is recommended that both boys and girls get this vaccination by age 11. There are certain caveats to getting the vaccination though; for instance, insurance providers only cover the costs of the 3 injections if you are at or below the age of 26. If you are over the age of 26, consult an OBGYN for more information about the vaccination. OBGYNs also administer pap smears and HPV co-testing, which is a way to screen for cervical cancers, and should be a routine part of your gynecologic healthcare regardless of whether you have received the Gardasil vaccination or not.
Regarding breast cancer; mammograms screen for breast cancer, but any physician (family care, internal or general practitioner) can give you a referral to get one. Mammograms are recommended at or over the age of 40 on a yearly basis unless of you have certain risk factors in your medical of family history that change the recommendation to start mammograms at an earlier age (usually 35).
Treating cancer requires further physician specialization. Breast Cancers are treated by Oncologists while gynecologic cancers are treated by Gynecologic Oncologists. I would recommend establishing care with an OBGYN to discuss each of your questions in further detail.
OB/GYN specialists are able to screen for cervical and breast cancers. The sub-specialist, gynecologic oncologists, provide the women's cancer treatments, and some also treat breast cancers.
If they are female cancers and and there is a test available, the answer is yes. The most common test a gynecologist does is the pap smear for cervical cancer. Endometrial biopsies or d & c's for uterine cancers and ultrasounds may be done as well. Unfortunately, there is no good screening test for ovarian cancer. Your gyn will usually do breast exams and order mammograms.
Yes, OBGYN’s diagnose all female cancers- Breast, uterine, cervix, ovarian, skin cancers involving vulvar area, sometimes anal cancer. They are then referred to sub speciality of OBGYN Called Gynecologic Oncologists for further care. These are doctors who are OBGYN’s but specialized in Oncology surgeries. Most OBGYN’s do benign gynecologic surgeries.

Take care!