Emergency Physician Questions Hematologist-Oncologist

Should I be concerned?

Should I be concerned that for almost 9 months my kappa free light chain test has been high and my Dr has brushed it off?

Male | 34 years old
Complaint duration: 9 months
Medications: N/a
Conditions: Congestive heart failure respiratory failure diabetes obesity

6 Answers

A Kappa free light chain is a test that check for high levels of certain proteins in your blood . It could mean that your plasma cells (white blood cells that fight infections) make light chain. Could be do to and inflammatory process such as low level infection of other conditions. A healthcare provider may order a kappa free light chain test for Amyloidosis (protein disorder), Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MAGUS), it can progress to cancer, Multiple myeloma (plasma cell cancer)Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia (rare type). Other symptoms includes anemia, unusual bruising, fatigue, numbness, kidney diseases skin rash as well as other sign and symptoms . Now, depending on how high the values are it can be only inflammation. Please check with your healthcare provider to make sure that everything hasn't change or you are in need of additional tests. Thank you.
Kappa light chain levels tend to be slightly high with any chronic illness. This test has more than 30% false positive rate.
"High" kappa light chain results are significant. How or why they are significant needs to be investigated thoroughly to understand why they are present and what else may be associated with this laboratory finding. It's unfortunate that your "doctor" has brushed it off. Recommend you be referred to a good Hematologist.
More details are needed to answer your question. Kappa level, Lambda level, Kappa/Lambda ratio, serum and urine M-spike levels by immunofixation test.
It depends if the kappa light chain number is stable , which is not likely a problem, or if it is rising which is a problem. If it is rising you should be referred to a hematologist.
Are there other abnormal tests involved? If so, may want to see a hematologist. If not, just have it retested.