Emergency Physician Questions Emergency Physician

Should I go to ER for blood clot in arm?

I think I have a blood clot in my arm. Should I go to ER for a blood clot in the arm?

4 Answers

Yes please, u need an ED evaluation.
Basically, you need to get a doppler ultrasound done, which can be ordered by your PCP (if you can be visited immediately) or an ER provider.
A clot in the arm is unusual and not as serious as one in the leg. If present, there is usually an important reason for this which would be much more logical to be assessed by a hematologist and not an ER doctor concerned with serious acute emergencies and not prone to work up problems over time. So,it might be logical to first see if indeed this is a clot, but if so,see a person to investigate possible causes.