Chiropractor Questions Chiropractor

Should I see a chiropractor for a slipped disc?

I am a 33 year old male. I want to know if I should see a chiropractor for a slipped disc?

16 Answers

If you suspect you have a slipped disc, it is recommended to consult with a chiropractor who specializes in treating spinal conditions. Chiropractors are trained to evaluate and provide care for various musculoskeletal conditions, including certain cases of herniated discs. They can perform a thorough examination, including orthopedic and neurological tests, and may request imaging tests to confirm the presence of a slipped or herniated disc.

Chiropractors can employ conservative treatments, such as spinal adjustments, spinal decompression therapy, and therapeutic exercises, to help alleviate the symptoms associated with a slipped disc. By carefully manipulating the spine, they aim to reduce pressure on the affected disc, promote proper alignment, and improve overall spinal function.

However, it is important to note that the suitability of chiropractic care for a slipped disc depends on several factors, including the severity, location, and individual patient considerations. In some cases, chiropractic treatment may be contraindicated or require a collaborative approach with other healthcare professionals. Your chiropractor will assess your specific condition and provide appropriate recommendations based on their findings.

It is always advisable to have an accurate diagnosis and discuss your specific condition with a qualified healthcare professional, such as a chiropractor, to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your slipped disc. They will take into consideration factors such as your overall health, the severity of the disc herniation, and any other underlying conditions you may have.
100% you should . That’s what chiropractors specialize to do .
Most every Chiropractor can help tremendously with spinal disc issues. The individual doctor that you see would be able to tell you if they were unable to help and refer you to a different doctor if that were the case.
Depending on the chiropractor, definitely!
A Chiropractor is a conservative physician who would be able to assess your disc. However, an MRI would be highly advised to truly diagnose the problem. Depending on the severity of the slipped disc, a Chiropractor could help. However, we often work with other medical professionals to make sure Chiropractic is indicated for your case.
Yes, you can see a chiropractor for disc conditions
Yes, you can see a chiropractor for a slipped disc. Chiropractic treatment can help relieve some of the pain and discomfort. Chiropractic adjustments cannot eliminate the herniated disc however, but it can reduce some of the pain
Yes you should, but the Chiropractor will need to review your Medical records first to determine if Chiropractic care is appropriate for your “slipped disc”. Generally speaking, disc bulges, herniation, and protrusions usually respond well to Chiropractic treatment. Whereas, a sequestered disc usually requires more invasive Medical care, like surgery.
There is no such diagnosis as a slipped disc. So, yes you should see a chiropractor to determine your correct diagnosis.
Absolutely! It's one of the most common things we treat and we're good at it. I should suggest going to someone who specializes in non surgical spinal decompression therapy. Not all chiropractors do it and it's the best treatment for disc issues.
Yes you should have x-rays taken and have a thorough exam done for biomechanics of the spine so you can figure out what caused a slipped disc and see if I could fix it

Dr Adam Hutton, DC, DAAMLP
Biomechanical Spine Specialist
It is very common for patients with this condition to be treated successfully with Chiropractic Care. I highly recommend seeking care.
Chiropractors are trained to diagnose and treat vertebral disc disorders. There are many ways you can be treated with a disc injury. Be sure to share your entire health history and bring a copy of any MRI reports and/or disk images if you already had an MRI.
Yes. Chiropractors could order X-rays and write a report with observations on disc height and narrowing of the opening where the spinal nerves exit. Moreover, chiropractors can order an MRI, which confirms the diagnosis of an injured disc whether it's a bulge or a herniation. It can also reveal whether there is nerve compression. The chiropractor can keep bone alignment through adjustments and relax the muscle using physical therapy without having to take pharmaceuticals. Keep in mind that the cartilage itself does not have the ability to heal, so it's considered supportive treatment.
Yes and no.... The term "slipped" disc is a bit uninformative. A chiropractor worth his weight in gold would do an extensive neurological exam on you, then refer you for some imaging. Start with X-rays and then an MRI after that. These will help the chiropractor to determine how large and what, if any, "slipped" disc you might have. After gathering all that info, then the chiropractor should be able to reasonably determine if they can help you, or refer you to an ortho or neuro specialist.