Dentist Questions Dentist

How do you irrigate gum pockets?

I am a 22 year old female. I want to know how do you irrigate gum pockets?

5 Answers

There are special types of "water-pik-like" devices that have special attachments. Check with a local periodontist office to see if you can buy one there.
We usually irrigate gum pockets with chlorhexidine solution. It's an antimicrobial solution that help remove excess build up after deep cleaning procedure.
Build up of plaque under the tissues will irritate the pockets. Getting your teeth cleaned regularly along with proper brushing and flossing is the best way to avoid this.

You can irrigate your gum pockets with a water floss. However, the best way is to use regular string floss and floss to the base of your gums. In addition to that, if you have large pockets that cannot be reached with dental floss, a hygienist/dentist may need to numb you and assist you in cleaning out the pocket and getting the pocket and inflammation smaller so that you are able to clean it at home yourself.

Dr. Ta
Best way to do that is to have it done by a dentist or a hygienist. An alternative is to use a water pick on low settings. Fill it up with chlorhexidine 0.12% rinse (prescription),Peroxyl mouth rinse or Listerine. Place the tip right at the gum line and direct it toward your pockets.