Allergist and Immunologist Questions Allergies

Is Pubic itching sign of an allergy?

I am a 27 year old man and I am suffering from severe pubic itching. This condition suddenly starts and then stops on its own. Is it a form of an allergy? How can I diagnose what is causing this allergy?

1 Answer

I am sorry to hear you are uncomfortable. While an allergy could be present, it is the least likely cause for the symptoms. A thorough GU evaluation and also dermatologic exam will be important and should be done first. Taking cultures and evaluation for potential bacterial or fungal overgrowth should be done as they are more common and can certainly trigger the symptoms. Allergic triggers usually cause generalized itching, so such localized symptoms while could be allergy related will require contact with the allergen only in that body area. 

Hope that helps,
Monika Korff, MD