Physiatrist (Physical Medicine) Questions Stroke

My father had a stroke and needs rehabilitation now. Will a physiatrist be able to help?

My father is 69 years old and suffered a stroke. He is now recovering and needs support. Will a physiatrist be able to help him out?

8 Answers

Absolutely! Here is a great way to find one near you:
Absolutely, that’s exactly the kind of physician you need.
I am very sorry to hear about your father’s stroke.
Physiatrists are excellent for pain relief and getting the body back to a level where one can rehabilitate. The best person, if he is not in pain, is a physiotherapist, but one who specializes in rehabilitation. These patients do very well in my experience if they are in good hands to get them walking, etc. It’s very important to get the body moving.
Absolutely. Physiatrists can assess the level of rehabilitation he will be able to tolerate to maximize his recovery, as well use medications to control problems that develop post stroke. Get that consult now!

Yes, physiatrist receive specialized training in neurorehabilitstiin which includes stroke recovery.
Yes! A physiatrist is an excellent choice to help direct post stroke recovery!
Yes, you need a quarterback to help you determine what the best care is for your father at this point, is it medications, is it a certain kind of physical or occupational therapy, is it a safety issue, is it an anti-depressant and some counseling, etc. These are the questions a physiatrist can help you answer, can educate you and your father on what to expect and help guide you through the healthcare system. MH