Adolescent Psychiatrist Questions Depression

My daughter is prone to hormonal depression. What can I do?

My daughter is highly prone to mood swings and depression right around her periods which just started last year. What can I do to help her?

3 Answers

PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) is common among women. Especially when a teen just starts her periods. It may take up to a few years for her period to regulate and hormonal imbalance may improve, but may not. There are some antidepressants that are used for it, and also some girls have contraceptive pills or different contraceptive methods prescribed by a pediatrician or gynecologist to reduce they symptoms of mild irregularity before periods. Also, if they are painful, it is better to check for any organic cause.

I hope it helps.
Mood changes around the time of menstrual periods are not uncommon. If significant and functionally impairing, medication or hormonal treatments are available. Consult your pediatrician or primary care physician. A gynecologist or child psychiatrist could be consulted if necessary.
Mood changes in the days before (or during) menstruation are common. When girls first begin menstruating, it may take time for them to recognize their own mood changes, rather than blame family members for causing conflict. Once people recognize their vulnerability to over-reacting, they may be able to learn coping skills from many sources - family, friends, trusted adults from school or a religious organization, primary care provider, women's health websites, etc. Severe, impairing mood changes may lead families to seek evaluation by a licensed mental health professional. Such a person may determine that treatment is appropriate, either with medication (i.e. antidepressants), or psychotherapy. Alternatively, some girls/women may benefit from consultation with their local primary care provider or gynecologist. Either of those providers could evaluate whether an oral contraceptive pill might, on its own, limit mood swings.

NB: This does not constitute medical advice, please see the disclaimer in my Expert Blog for details.