Psychiatrist Questions Depression

My husband’s death has left my son shattered. How can I help him cope with the loss?

My husband died 7 months back due to a car accident. My son who is 7 years old was extremely attached to his father and this shock has left him behaving very strangely. I am getting worried as I see him waking up at night and talking to his father’s photo. I want to help him cope with the loss but I don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?

7 Answers

I advise to show your son to a child psychiatrist. In addition, engage him in sports, perhaps travel.
Refer him to a therapist who he likes.

Jan Fawcett, MD
Let him know you are there and if he wants any more of his father's things or memories, he can let you know.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss! May All mighty give you and him strength to cope. It has been 7 months and he is still struggling to cope, please have him seen by a therapist as he is showing some complicated grief.
My prayers are with you and your family.
You are a loving mother!
Hug your son and tell him that you understand his feelings that he is missing his father. Encourage him to release his feelings and show your understanding. Show interest in his activities and show your pride in his daily accomplishments. Tell that you both can go to see a child psychiatrist or child psychologist for counseling.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your tragic and unexpected loss. Your son misses his dad a lot and if he is waking up at night that means this is impacting his sleep. I recommend finding a child psychologist in your area who specializes with grief and loss to help your son cope with this very significant loss. I would also recommend that you see someone on your own for support as well. There should be family visits as well to help you and your son better communicate feelings and emotions. Best wishes for you and your family.
I am extremely sorry for your loss. I can just imagine how tragic it is for your son. That is grieving. You can be supportive and talk to him about your feelings and encourage him to share his as well. Also, he can be talking to a therapist as that can help him significantly.