Emergency Physician Questions Emergency Physician

Should I go to the ER for a herniated disc?

I am a 43 year old male. I want to know if I should go to the ER for a herniated disc?

4 Answers

You have to be admitted
A patient with a herniated spinal disc that is having severe pain, or new numbness/weakness in their extremities, or suffering from groin numbness/incontinence should be seen urgently. If your physician cannot see you that day, I would seek care at a high level functioning urgent care (most urgent care clinics are not set up to take care of this), or an Emergency Department. You may need emergent X-rays or MRI, and spinal surgeon referral. Of course, your pain needs to be controlled, and you may benefit from steroids and muscle relaxers.
I don’t think you need to go to ER. You can wait for your PCP to evaluate you.