Pediatrician Questions Pediatrician

What can I do with my son's anxiety attacks?

My son is 14 years old and he gets anxiety attacks very often. What can I do with my son's anxiety attacks?

4 Answers

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Without known what triggers his anxiety I would suggest that you monitor your emotional state as he is having an "anxiety attack" and attempt to address what he is experiencing emotionally at that time. I would also help to seek professional services for you and him. Most important, you remaining calm and emotionally regulated will help a lot.

You can make an appointment with a psychiatrist. He may benefit from medicine. Good luck
Teach him some relaxation techniques he can use to help.
Try to calm him by encouraging him to slow his breathing and think about a "happy place." Bring in a paper bag and increase the carbon dioxide if they feel lightheaded. If it is causing him to miss activities, he may need counseling or medication and be seen.