Sleep Medicine Specialist (Pediatric) Questions Insomnia

What can I do to help my son with his chronic insomnia?

My son is 12 years old, and he hasn't been able to sleep for four weeks straight. He'll take a nap when he gets home from school, but the nap is only an hour. I don't know what to do. Should we visit a doctor? How will they treat him? (He's too young for sleeping pills)

2 Answers

Yes, see a doctor asap. Investigate urine for drugs. R/o familial insomnia.
I would see a sleep specialist and initiate behavioral treatment of insomnia. Sedative medications are inappropriate. Consideration of anxiety or depression would be appropriate.The American's Academy of Sleep Medicine maintains a list of accredited sleep centers.
Have a question aboutInsomnia?Ask a doctor now