Here you can find out more about first aid for seizures.
Tips that ensure patient’s safety if patient is having a seizure:
- Patient must always carry medical identification.
- Patient’s family, friends, and co-workers must what to do if the patient is having a seizure.
- The patient can participate in sports and other activities but with caution by using helmets, jackets, etc. and never alone.
- Patient must always take prescribed anticonvulsant medication and cannot suddenly stop taking it or change the dosage without consulting the doctor.
- Patient must avoid alcohol because it can interfere with the effectiveness of anticonvulsant medications.
Tips if a person is having seizure:
- Clothes around person’s neck must be loose.
- A person must not be tried to hold down, restrain or something inserted into person’s mouth because this can result in injury.
- Sharp objects (glasses, furniture, etc.) must be removed from the person to prevent injury.
- After the seizure, a person must be lied down on the side to maintain an open airway and to prevent inhalation of any secretions.
- The person can be confused so they must not be left alone.
- An ambulance should be called only if the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes or the person is having one seizure after another.