Podiatrist Questions Podiatrist

Broken foot?

I broke my foot two years ago and have pain, swelling, and discoloration.

Female | 58 years old

7 Answers

Please visit an Orthopaedic Surgeon. You need PT/OT and a MRI of your extremity.
You have related a 2-year-old fracture history with your current symptoms of pain, swelling and discoloration. There is no attached photo for me to give you an exact diagnosis and suggestion. Also, you have not mentioned where the fracture was, and treatment was given with complete healing of the fracture. If all of the above is true, then it may be worthwhile to see a vein specialist to see if you have chronic varicose veins causing the above symptoms. If fracture was not treated, then you may have to see an orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist, get X-rays of foot, and if that is negative, see a vein surgeon.

Thank you,

Girija Surya, MD
I recommend you make an appointment with a foot and ankle surgeon (podiatrist) for diagnosis and treatment options
Hi there,

It's possible those symptoms are from the injury, but your symptoms are also consistent with venous insufficiency. Sometimes an injury also causes an injury to the vein, which can malfunction forever after that. It's easily fixable if that is indeed what is happening.

Might be a good question for orthopedic surgeon. If you have element of venous insufficiency, then you could have swelling. Breaking a foot however would not specifically be related to venous disease. Always happy to see in our clinic at The University of Kansas.
You should see a podiatrist or an orthopedist.