Dental Hygienist Questions Periodontist

Can surgery fix receding gums?

I have receding gums. Can surgery fix receding gums?

2 Answers

It can't necessarily fix the height of tissue loss, but a soft tissue graft can help the width of the thin tissue overlying the roots of the teeth. The attached gingival graft is taken from the hard palate and placed/attached to the attached gingival tissue in an overlay fashion. So, it will thicken the current tissue, thereby slowing the recession. I would speak to a periodontist as this is their specialty and although it's performed by some OMS's, I don't do them. Hope this helps, Dr Bronk
Gum grafting surgery is a predictable and long lasting option for receded gums. Using cadaver tissue or your own tissue are used to be repair the gum defects.