Chiropractor Questions Back Pain

I have a back ache after my car accident. What can I do?

I got in a very minor fender-bender two weeks ago. I didn't get any major injuries but my back now has a dull, sore-feeling pain. What should I do for the pain?

24 Answers

See a chiropractor.
I would avoid issuing a heating pad and use an ice pack on/off 15 min at a time every 2-3 hours to reduce inflammation. Light stretching to avoid stiffness and get checked by a chiropractor see if you have a nerve problem.
Soft Tissue Injuries can take weeks to rear their ugly head. It's kind of like whiplash for your back vs your neck. Should be evaluated by a chiropractor or physical therapist who specializes in Motor Vehicle Injuries. Films after the physical exam may be necessary. Start treatment sooner then later, you don't want this to become a chronic issue.
If you have pain after a motor vehicle accident your spine is more than likely out of alignment. You should seek Chiropractic care immediately because every day that you wait you are healing out of alignment !
It would be to your best interest to go and consult with a chiropractor for your back symptoms.
Whiplash can occur from falling on ice, so when patients tell me they were involved in a "minor fender-bender," I always suspect whiplash. If two weeks have passed and you are feeling pain, you injured some ligaments and tendons and I would recommended getting evaluated by a chiropractor or a physical therapist. If whiplash is not properly treated, it could result in a loss of spinal curvature, which leads to further problems.
Go see your local Chiropractor
Get it checked ASAP then consult a lawyer about your rights because you do not want a case where you can be affected by an injury that is something or someone else’s fault.
Look for a chiropractor who X-rays and who specializes in PI, i.e., "personal injury."

Good luck!

Get examined by a specialist in automotive medicine. Thankfully, they exist. Most are chiropractic physicians. What was the vector of the collision? Rear-end? Head-on? Side impact? Back injuries are very common in motor vehicle crashes. And the forces in some seemingly “minor” fender benders can sometimes be quite high. In physics, F = ma, and less damage to vehicles (less plastic deformation or vehicle crush) can mean more energy imparted to occupants (a more “elastic” collision, for example). Vehicle damage is not correlated linearly to occupant injury. These are 4000-lb.-plus vehicles, so they don’t have to be going very fast to cause injury. Most injuries in rear-end crashes occur between 6-12 mph collisions. Many vehicles show little to no damage at that speed range of collisions. This is what research has shown us for decades. Go get checked. You need a diagnosis.
Many people that are in "minor fender benders" believe if they don't feel immediate pain that they are OK. Far from the truth. Statistics show that a person sitting in their vehicle at a dead stop and rear ended by another doing only 10 MHP will experience up to 3g's (3x the force of gravity) causing strain and sprain to the muscles and ligaments of the spine which can disrupt the normal alignment of the vertebrae. Symptoms can manifest themselves up to six months later or longer. It is called delayed reaction to injury and is very common. I suggest seeing a chiropractor. Chiropractic treatment has proven to be very affective with these types of injuries.
First, my advice to anyone in a car accident even if very minor should have and examination and be checked out. Often, subtle damage can lead to long term pain later in life. Remember the pain does not correlate with the seriousness of injury. Often cancer has no pain or a sliver in your finger has a ton of pain. Get checked out to protect yourself down the road!

Dr. Bernard
First, there's no such thing as a minor accident! Have yourself examined by a chiropractor as soon as possible.
After a car accident, it is always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional; whether it is in the Emergency room or by a Chiropractor. When someone comes into our office after an MVA, we always to a thorough examination and x-rays to determine the extent of the injuries. If we determine that you are a candidate for spinal manipulation, we will adjust and treat the injuries on the second visit.
Find a great chiropractor who focuses on corrective care and that you can make it to regularly. You should follow their recommended corrective care plan. Soft tissue injuries from car accidents (even miner ones) can take 3-18 months to fully heal.

My suggestion would be to see a local chiropractor to get your spine checked. Even though it was a low speed impact, there is a lot of trauma that happens to the body. Many times, symptoms don't show up for days or weeks later. Getting your spine back in proper alignment along with some muscle work will go a long way in helping you feel better.

Good luck!
You should see a chiropractor in your town and have some X-rays and an evaluation performed to see what is causing the pain.

Greg A. Pizzolato, D.C.

If it has been two weeks, use heat for 20 minutes a few times per day and start lightly stretching your back. Pain from minor accidents can be delayed just due to muscle physiology and other factors. Usually, it's self-limiting and resolves itself. If the pain continues, consider a visit to a chiropractor.

Vishal K. Verma, DC, CCSP
The first thing I always recommend is to use ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off on the area of pain. Make sure to wrap the ice up in a towel. Stretching the area also should help. If you are still in pain see your local chiropractic for an exam. Even a minor fender-bender can cause some serious issues.
I would strongly advise a chiropractic evaluation. One who treats car accident patients would be preferred.
You should see a chiropractor that specializes in personal injury
See a chiropractor for your condition to determine what is causing your pain and to prevent it from getting worse or causing future problems for you down the road.
For the pain, a Chiropractor should be able to help resolve the pain for you. As always, get an evaluation by a physician/chiropractor to properly diagnose your condition. Based on the cause and time line its likely that you had a mild strain and typically a joint in the body tries to protect itself by using the soft tissues, like muscles, to limit movement like a natural splint. But now this crates a situation where things are not mechanically moving correctly and repetitive strain symptoms will start to show up. Getting this area evaluated and correcting the function will stop your current symptoms and help prevent future problems in that area.

You should apply ice just above the tailbone, walk 30 minutes every day, and consult a Chiropractor to assess your spine for any injury.