Rheumatologist Questions Back Pain

I have never had a back injury, then why do I have a constant back pain?

I am a 28 year old woman and I am suffering from constant lower back pain. If I have never had any fall or back injury, then what could be the cause of my back pain? What are the tests that I should undergo to diagnose the issue?

4 Answers

Lifestyle factor such as walking and cycling may help prevent lower back pain but Obesity, smoking, physical workload can increase risk for lower back pain http://bit.ly/2OQCRxE ‬. I would advise you to follow up with a Rheumatologist for further evaluation as there can be many different causes for your symptoms and it should be evaluated by a healthcare professional.
There are many causes of lower back pain. An internist is a good place to start. He or she should take a thorough history and physical and may order x-rays and lab tests.
Young women with back pain may have either referred pain from a pelvic or colon problem or an inflammatory arthritis of the spine, probably ankylosing spondylitis. I advise going to a rheumatologist who can do an X-ray of your spine and look for inflammatory sacroileitis. If you go to an orthopedic surgeon, he may want to do unnecessary tests and MRIs and nerve blocks.
Please see a Rheumatologist! I would recommend to perform Blood work for Rheumatic Problem and Radiologic studies to identify the cause of the pain.
If you are in the NYC area please call 718-375-2300 and schedule your appointment.