Counseling Questions Child abuse

My daughter's friend is abused by her parents. What should I do?

My daughter told me that one of her friends at school told her that she was being abused by her parents. I want to do something, but I'm not really sure where to start. Can you help me?

8 Answers

Call the Department of Social Services immediately.
As a mandated reporter, I would say you need to report it to child protective services (Department of Child and Family Services). It is not up to us to determine whether the accusation is true or not. Child protective services will investigate and the reporter will be kept anonymous. The reporter will be advised as to the outcome of the investigation as founded or unfounded.
If you have concerns about the safety and welfare of a vulnerable person (child/adult/elderly person/disabled person), the best thing to do is to call Protective Services. A quick Google search should help you find the phone number to Protective Services in your area.
Thank you for the question,

I would start by encouraging your daughter to help her go to the counseling office at school and report it or you could call the counselor at school and let them know what you have heard. That way it can be investigated and processed through the right channels. I hope that this helps you.

Typically, the place to start is child protective services. Sometimes they investigate right away, and sometimes you need more proof. Can you get more information from your daughter? Was she given details or just, "my friend said she is being abused?" It's definitely a difficult position to be in. You could also call CPS and ask them what is needed in order to place a complaint. You may also ask at your daughter's school to speak with the school social worker, maybe they are aware already and are handling it.
You can always call Child line and you should not have to report your name. They should investigate.
Not knowing all of the details, the best thing to do would be to call your local CPS department or police to report it with as much detail as you can and let them do the investigation. If you are not comfortable with that, talk to a school counselor or administrator, as they are mandated reporters and will have to place the call. If you go that route, it would be best if you discuss it with your daughter, as it may affect her relationship.
If you suspect any child abuse, please call DCFS or child protective services. They can begin an investigation and your information can remain anonymous.