Anesthesiologist Questions Anesthesia

I'm terrified about having my wisdom teeth pulled! Can I request general anesthesia?

My wisdom teeth need to be pulled and I'm very, very nervous about the procedure. Can I be put under general anesthesia? How does that work in a dental office -- will there be an anesthesiologist?

9 Answers

Yes, IV sedation
Yes you can request that type of service, but not all dentists are set up for general. Usually, it’s a deep sedation. And either a MDA or CRNA will care for you throughout the procedure
Ideally, with dental molar local anesthetic blocks combined with protocol infusion you will do just fine! If you really are anxious and afraid of moving during the procedure I would recommend general anesthesia.
You can have general anesthesia. Whether the surgeon administers the anesthesia or hires an anesthesiologist, depends upon the surgeon and his training.
You certainly can discuss this with your oral surgeon and the two of you will arrive at the best decision for both your comfort sake.
An oral surgeon or a dentist trained in sedation will provide such services. So, yes, you can be put under general anesthesia. However, you need to make sure that the dentist who is providing wisdom tooth removal also provides general anesthesia as a service.
A great option for having wisdom teeth pulled is during IV Sedation. This is a little different from general anesthesia in the sense that it is not as deep of sedation. Most oral surgeons are able to do this procedure in their office. Certain criteria apply, but if you have a consult with an oral surgeon, they will be able to present that option to you and what it entails.
Depending on your dentist there are various ways to sedate you. General dentists can sedate if they have the training to do so, typically it's an i.v. sedation Oral surgeons typically sedate and Anesthesiologists may work in dental offices. You should contact a general dentist for a consultation about what options are available to you and what will match your specific needs.
Yes you can. The oral surgeon will give you the anesthesia. They are well versed in doing that.