Pediatrician Questions Pediatrician

How to help my son's constipation?

My 8 year old son has been constipated for 3 days. What can I do? Should I take him to a doctor?

6 Answers

Try Miralax. I'm not a pediatric GI, but Miralax is safe for kids. Take him to a pediatrician if he is uncomfortable.
Yes please.
Have a question aboutPediatrician?Ask a doctor now
Assuming that your son is handling the constipation without pain or complaints and there is no abdominal distention you could try either some Miralax or a gentle fleets enema. He does still ned to see the pediatrician there are many cases for this
If it has only been three days, most would advise trying an over-the-counter stool softener first. Obviously if it is ongoing problem, his doctor should see him. However, occasional constipation is common and usually linked to diet or change in routine (like the start of school).

Mark R. Corkins, M.D., C.N.S.C., F.A.S.P.E.N., A.G.A.F., F.A.A.P.
Increase fruits and vegetables intake, and if he still having constipation take him to his doctor for evaluation and treatment.
You can usually use MOM 15 ml or mirilax OTC 15 gm in juice 2 times a day until stools are soft. Change diet to increase fiber and avoid bananas peanut butter cheese and other constipating foods. If you cannot get it under control with diet he will need to be seen. Make sure he is drinking enough fluids and taking time to potty