Endodontist Questions Root Canal

I think I have infected soft pulp tissue in my back tooth. What's the treatment for this?

I have a feeling the soft pulp tissue in one of my molars is infected. Before I go see my dentist, I'm wondering what the course of treatment will be for this tooth?

18 Answers

Hi, it sounds like you have what we call a pulp polyp. Basically is an overgrown pulp generally caused by dental decay. Depending on how damage your tooth is, your dentist my recommend a root canal and probably a crown or if there is not enough tooth left, he or she may recommend an extraction. If extraction is the planned treatment, there is options to replace the missing tooth: A implant or a bridge are great options depending on your preferences dental condition and overall health. I hope this was helpful.
It is difficult to say definitely without looking at radiographs and looking clinically at the tooth. If there is sufficient tooth structure left then maybe a root canal, build-up, and a crown. If the tooth doesn't look good it may be extracted.
Evaluation first, tests, diagnosis, and after the problem is localized, possible root canal treatment if recommended or referral to a specialist.
Antibiotics if infected, so then when you get the root canal done then your tooth will get numb.
I am unsure what you mean by "infected soft pulp tissue" but I am going to assume you mean that a cavity has reached your pulp and therefore infected the nerve tissue in your molar. When this happens, your doctor will confirm with an xray as well as "endo pulp tests" to see if the nerve has really been infected and whether or not the inflammation and pain is reversible or not. If it has infected your pulp, a root canal treatment will more likely than not be recommended, taking into consideration other factors seem during this exam. Following this, usually a restoration will be placed on the tooth to restore the tooth back to structure and function, like a crown and build up. Hope this helps!
You have to go see your dentist immediately and, depending on the issue, your dentist may order antibiotics for you to reduce the infection and then treat the infected tooth. Whether it's just a cavity or if the tooth, it needs a root canal.
You should see a root canal specialist
Good morning,

It sounds like you may possibly need to get root canal therapy on this tooth, followed by restorative treatment.

Best regards,
If you have a tooth with infected pulp tissue, the goal is to get rid of the infection to get your mouth and body back to optimal health. The only methods for ridding a tooth of an infected pulp is either take the tooth out by an extraction or to do a root canal to clean the infected pulp tissue out of the tooth but still be able to keep your tooth. But always remember if you go the root canal route, you always need to follow that with a crown to properly seal off the root canal to prevent reinfection. Also, before these two options are even considered is based on the prognosis and restorability of the tooth. Like the remaining tooth structure, the periodontal health of the tooth, the necessity to save the tooth, crown to root ration, etc.
Hope that answers your question.

For any sort of possible tooth infection, the steps would include having an intral-oral exam, appropriate X-rays, dental/medical history. Depending on how severe the decay and/or infection, the doctor may recommend root canal treatment and crown, or extraction (removal of tooth), with possible pain medication and/or antibiotics. To receive a comprehensive examination and consultation, please visit your local licensed dental profession.

Dr Wong
Hi, The pulp of the tooth is the tissue (nerves and blood vessels) inside the tooth. If you can see it or touch it, it is most likely infected, as it should not be visible in the mouth. It should be covered by tooth structure. The treatment for an infected pulp depends on how much tooth structure is left and can range from a root canal, post and crown to an extraction and an implant. Your dentist will have to see and x-ray the tooth to make an accurate diagnosis.
If you are referring to the soft tissue behind or around a tooth, then a cleaning or irrigation may be indicated. In some cases, antibiotics can be beneficial.
If you think you have an infection, call your dentist without delay.
Until the dentist clinically examines it you can not be sure. Do let them do all their tests and images first. Keep a track of your symptoms. If they are not sure they will refer you to an Endodontist
The only way to get rid of an infection in a tooth is to mechanically remove it. The only 2 choices is have a root canal done, or pull the tooth. Root canals have success somewhere in the 90th percentile. Extraction is a 100% successful, but then you would probably would want to replace it. Those options come with their own success and failure rates. Antibiotics will never cure an infected tooth for there is no blood flow there anymore to get the antibiotics to the infection. All antibiotics will do for you is possibly buy you some comfortable time. Who knows how long.
Infected pulp needs a root canal treatment plus all the later restoration procedures (buildup, crown, etc.) OR extraction plus all the restitution procedures (bridge, implants, etc.).
When the pulp of a tooth becomes infected either an extraction or a root canal treatment will be necessary.
If you have an infected pulp in your back tooth, there is a high chance that you will need a root canal and, if it does not already have one, a crown. However, you should schedule an appointment with your dentist and have him or her do a thorough examination and take appropriate xrays in order to determine exactly what is going on, and then go over with you your options.
Your options depend on what you want. Without an exam, I can't tell you what the course of treatment will be. If you do not wish to save the tooth, then you can have an extraction. If you wish to save the tooth, you should see an endodontist for definitive diagnosis and have the root canal if suggested. Good Luck.
Pulp tissue is inside the tooth and not visible. You probably have an infection of the gum tissue. This can arise from the pulp or gum tissue. Your dentist should be the first evaluation to screen the problem. The treatment will depend on what is found.