Dentist Questions Dentist

What to do if a piece of tooth breaks off?

I am a 33 year old male. I want to know what to do if a piece of tooth breaks off?

5 Answers

If a portion of your tooth breaks it should be fixed by a dentist. In some cases, the tooth may have broken because of grinding/clenching teeth which also would need to be addressed by the dentist. In other cases, old metal fillings can weaken the remaining tooth structure and this breaks off as a result.
Broken teeth happen for various reasons. They can also be a nuisance because they don’t look good or the sharp edges bother your tongue. Additionally, you may have pain due to nerve exposure. Either way, you don’t want to wait too long to address the problem as the tooth may fracture more, cause damage or may become more painful. You should visit your dentist as soon as possible to have the fractured tooth fully evaluated and treated.
It all depends on how big the piece is and what part of the tooth is missing. Anything from simple polishing to just smooth the edges to crown preparation can be done depending on diagnosis.
It must be examined by a professional dentist before you lose the tooth. 
Ouch! If it’s a front tooth and it’s big enough to find, put it into a ziplock bag with a little milk - maybe it can be re-bonded, BUT ya need to see your doctor.