Internist Questions Diabetes

When do you need to visit an internist for diabetes?

I have diabetes and I need some guidance on whether or not I should visit an internist or an endocrinologist to help me manage it. I'm newly diagnosed so I'm unsure of what to do. Is an internist the best choice for diabetes?

1 Answer

This is a very good question for which there is no easy answer. Ideally, you would want to be under the care of an endocrinologist who is well trained in diabetes (not all endos are). The problem is there are not enough endos. Endo is the lowest paid specialty in medicine so not many people want to go into it. So as the prevalence of diabetes goes up the available endos. goes down. So, your best alternative is a good internist who has kept up with the developments in diabetes therapy. These may also be hard to find but try. FP's are ok but many are so busy they don't have time to keep up on the latest research. Ironically some of the best "diabetologists" are nurses. Certified Diabetes Educators, especially those with advanced training as Advanced Nurse Practice nurses are quite good & most have more time than the DR. to keep up on the fast changing world of diabetes. I hope you find someone good & keep your diabetes in good control.