- Fatty foods can speed up the aging process and make the skin appear to be more wrinkled.
- Healthy foods can help to manage aging from occurring rapidly.
Experts are of the opinion that the type of food an individual eats may affect the looks of the person. Many of the components in the diet may aid in chronic inflammation, a condition that expedites aging. Thus, eating certain foods may make the person look much older than he or she actually is. Processed foods with more carbohydrates affects the collagen in the skin and makes it look wrinkled. Moreover, the inflammation-producing components may affect the overall health of the person too by causing a number of diseases, like heart diseases and diabetes. But there are some foods that may help to give a much younger and fresh look to the person.
Some foods that promote aging include:
- French fries and potato chips – Deep fried foods, particularly those with saturated fats, are known to cause inflammation in different parts of the body. One should limit the amount of trans fats in the food that will raise the levels of LDL cholesterol and reduce the amount of HDL cholesterol. Avoid foods that contain vegetable shortening or partially hydrogenated oils.
- Pastries and other sugary foods – Too much sugar in the food is also linked to inflammation. They capable produce advanced glycation end-products, which are the major reasons for inflammation.
- Processed meats – Products like hot dogs, bacon, and pepperoni often contain more amounts of saturated fats and nitrates, both of which lead to inflammatory response in the body.
- Fatty meat – These are yet another common reason for inflammation. Opt for lean meat to prevent the aging effect of meat.
- Alcohol – Excessive drinking may expedite the aging process in the body.
Favoring certain foods may prevent inflammation. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and lean protein are the key to reducing inflammatory response. Eating whole foods are better than any of the processed foods.
Five beneficial food choices for reducing aging include:
- Lettuce – This food is high in vitamin A and C, two major nutrients that hinder inflammation and aging. One may also opt for broccoli, spinach, and water cress.
- Tomatoes – Fruits containing lycopene, like watermelon, tomatoes, guavas, asparagus, and cabbage, are also good to manage aging.
- Salmon and tuna – These are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, the compound that is known to fight inflammation.
- Lentils and beans – They contain a good amount of fiber, protein, and nutrients, all of which help in inflammation.
- Oatmeal – Whole grains, like oats, brown rice, and quinoa help to fight inflammation.