As the name indicates, a blood type diet is based on the blood group developed by Dr. Peter D’Adamo, a naturopathic physician. This diet is based on the theory that by the taking the right kind of food for your blood type, one can have lesser risk of obesity, diseases, and cancers. According to Dr D’Adamo, the blood group of a person is an indicator of the type of food that is most suitable to the body. He even suggests that the food reacts chemically with the blood type. When on eats foods that are more suitable for his or her blood type, digestion can be improved.
Here is a look at the food suitable for each type of blood group:
- Type O blood group – Diet for this blood group should be rich in proteins. Suggested foods include lean meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, beans, and dairy products. People with this blood group are susceptible to have tummy upset and hence they should have supplements to prevent abdominal troubles.
- Type A blood group – Diets rich in fruits are vegetables, whole grains, and beans are recommended for this blood group. This diet is free of meats. According to D’Adamo, people with A blood group should choose fresh, organic foods as this blood group tend to have a sensitive immune system.
- Type B blood group – Corn, wheat, tomatoes, lentils, peanuts, and sesame seeds are not allowed in the diet. Chicken is also to be avoided. Meal should have green vegetables, certain meats, and low-fat dairy products.
- Type AB blood group – People with this blood group should have seafood, dairy products, tofu, and green vegetables in the diet. Cured meats, caffeine, and alcohol are limited to avoid stomach upset.
A blood type diet is severely restricted so one cannot indulge in personal favorites. The diet also gives specific recommendations about the different types of spices and condiments that can be used for a particular blood type. There are concerns regarding the diet of particular blood groups like O and A where some of the major food groups are considerably limited. For example, by limiting dairy products the amount of calcium intake is reduced and this may increase the risk of osteoporosis. Regarding weight loss, as specific food groups are totally avoided in a blood type, some amount of weight loss may be achieved. But the amount of weight loss expected is not mentioned in the diet and it may largely depend on how much food restriction one is able to make.
- Blood type diets cater to the needs of individuals with specific blood types.