Studies show that many cancers are related to diet, therefore, certain diets can help to prevent cancer. Having a healthy diet is the safest and inexpensive way to reduce the risk of cancer. There are many foods that may be categorized as cancer-fighting. Many experts are of the opinion that having a diet rich in plants-based foods, and avoiding too much of saturated fats, are very important in reducing the risk of this disease.
Some foods to consider include:
- Foods rich in folate – Low levels of folate in the body may increase the risk of cancer. Have more of spinach, oranges, brussel sprouts, dried beans, peas, and asparagus to receive the recommended amounts in one's diet. Adequate amounts of folate in the body may prevent mutations in DNA that lead to cancer.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin is also known to prevent the growth of cancerous cells. Studies have shown that an increased amount of vitamin D in the body is related to a reduced risk of breast cancer. It is also found to increase the survival rates among people with lung cancer.
- Tea – Flavonoids present in tea not only provide antioxidant properties but also protect against cancer. Studies show that consuming flavonoids decreases the chances of ovarian cancer and breast cancer.
- Curcumin – This plant product provides anti-inflammatory effects that help to fight cancer.
- Ginger – This spice was found to aid in killing cancer cells and stopping the progression of cancer in some studies.
- Indole-3 carbinol foods – Foods like broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, contain indole-3 carbinol that provide protective properties against cancer.
- Nuts – Nuts contain the antioxidants quercetin and campferol that may ward off cancer.
- Tomatoes – Lycopene, the antioxidant present in tomato, protects the body from the actions of free radicals that often trigger cancer.