An Accredited Member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society, Julie Graduated with distinctions from S.A. College of Botanic Medicine and Natural Therapies Pty Ltd. Professional Qualifications include: Naturopathic Doctor, Herbal & Homoeopathic Practitioner: Diet and Nutritional Medicine: Remedial & Therapeutic... more
Winter is somewhat of a challenging time for your skin when it comes to keeping it moist and hydrated. Prevention of dryness of your lips and many other kinds of skin irritations become noticeable.
According to leading cosmetologists and skin specialists, most seasonal skin problems can be prevented and treated successfully with a few simple skin care adjustments.
Keeping your skin moist and hydrated is dependent on delicate balancing techniques that take into consideration the structural integrity of the outer layers of your skin, known as the epidermis. The harsh elements of the weather during winter can have a detrimental effect on the epidermis, which can lead to your skin losing excessive amounts of moisture, therefore causing your skin to become dry and itchy.
For people who have pre-existing skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis or suffer in general from dry skin, will often find these conditions to worsen and the skin to become severely dehydrated during the winter season.
Professionally trained in both in cosmetology and naturopathic medicine, Julie advises her clients on how to treat and prevent their skin from losing moisture, as well as how to protect and heal their skin from any pre-existing skin conditions.
If you are prone to dry skin, it is important to avoid irritants, such as excessively hot water, chemically-based skin care products, soap-based body washes, washing powders and detergents. Other irritants known to cause skin problems and dehydration are smoking, drinking alcohol, soft drinks, and foods with high salt and sugar content.
It is important that you use products on your skin that contain pure ingredients, not unlike the food you eat as close to nature as possible. In my skin care range - "Just for You" by Julie, I include herbal medicine and pure essential oils for the treatment protocols in a pure, organic vegetable based oil or crème that is both chemically & paraben free. As these ingredients not only cause your skin to lose moisture, they also absorb into your blood stream, to eventually build up, causing further skin and health problems.
To offset the dehydration that indoor heating can cause, it is my suggestion that you use humidifiers as they bring moisture back into the air, reducing the risk of moisture loss. Humidifiers are also a great way to introduce pure essential oils into the environment. If you are looking for a relaxed environment, you can add lavender or patchouli. If you are looking to invigorate your environment adding citrus oils, such as orange, lemon, mandarin and lime. Wanting to ward off negative energy adding sage and peppermint will help.
Mask treatments for your skin to rehydrate: There is no need to spend money on expensive mask treatments, these can be found within your pantry. Enjoy a relaxing bubble bath with lavender, patchouli and coconut oil then either use organic honey and or seaweed sheets for your face and neck. The seaweed also known as Nori has all the essential minerals to help restore your skin, whilst honey restores hydration, nourishment and also acts to detoxify your skin from external toxins.
Isn't water enough to rehydrate your Skin: Drinking water is important for rehydration of your skin as well as helping to remove chemicals from your blood stream. However, it is also important to both rehydrate and protect your skin externally as well.
Rehydrate Your Skin - Your Daily Skin Care Routine
CLEANSE - Morning and night
I have always lived by the motto that I have NEVER gone to bed with my make-up on. No matter how late!
- Balance & Soothe: This milky cleanser from my Just for You Range will gently cleanse your skin, also will remove make-up, environmental impurities and dust, leaving the skin feeling clean and refreshed. It deeply cleanses your skin whilst being gentle and moisturises it with pure essential oils. Suitable for normal to sensitive skin.
- Repair & Rejuvenation Cleanser - This milky cleanser from my Just for Range gently cleanses make-up, environmental impurities and dust, leaving the skin feeling clean and refreshed. It deeply cleanses your skin whilst being gentle and mosturises it as well. Suitable to mature skin, also dry, dehydrated skin. It is gentle enough for people suffering from eczema and psoriasis.
EXFOLIATE - Once a day
Exfoliation is important for the removal of dead skin cells. It assists with improved circulation and cellular renewal and supports hydration allowing crèmes to have better absorption.
- Balance & Soothe - A gentle exfoliator from our Just for You Range assists with deep cleansing your skin and eliminating dead skin cells, allowing for faster regeneration of new cellular growth. This helps with slowing down the ageing process of your skin.
- Repair & Rejuvenation - A gentle exfoliator from our Just for You Range assists with deep cleansing your skin and eliminating dead skin cells, allowing for faster regeneration of new cellular growth. It is specially formulated to encourage healing and rejuvenation of tired, dehydrated skin. Exfoliation helps with slowing down the aging process of your skin.
MOISTURISE & PROTECT DAILY
It is important to moisturise your skin no matter what the weather is, in the morning and night. Depending on the clarity of your skin, you may get away with just using a day crème for a number of years. However, I would still apply this both morning and night. It is also important that when applying moisturiser to your face and to apply the crème to your neck and décolletage area as well.
- Balance & Soothe: Protect & hydrate your skin with our Just for You, daily moisturiser. Vitamins A & B and pure essential oils soothe, protect and moisturise even the most sensitive of skin: Avocado, Coconut, Lavender, St John’s Wart, Chamomile, Rose, Geranium, white tea, Calendula & Rose Hip. This is suitable for normal and sensitive skin.
- Repair & Rejuvenate: This effective day crème from our Just for You Range, will work to protect, repair, rehydrate and rejuvenate tired, lifeless skin. It will also work to improve muscle tone, skin clarity and visible lines with its pure restoring formulation, including vitamins A & B and pure essential oils.
If you have young, non-problematic skin, you may feel you don't have the need to use a night crème. I must admit that in my younger years, I didn't but as I reached the age of 40, I began using a night crème. The night cremes that I have formulated in the Just for You range have essential oils that will help to restore and rejuvenate your skin whilst you sleep.
Balance & Soothe: This is a gentle, soothing night crème from our Just for You Range. This gentle night crème will also help balance out oil secretions and heal any skin problems, such as acne or psoriasis.
Repair & Rejuvenation: Deep Restorative Night Crème from our Just for You Range, which will repair, rejuvenate, and nourish with pure essential oils. This will improve your muscle tone and your skin whilst you sleep
WHAT ABOUT YOUR BODY
During winter, it is just as important to effectively moisturise your body as it is in the warmer months of the year. It's just that we have to make more of an effort to do this because our skin is usually covered up. This is even more reason to moisturise, especially when you notice that you get rashes and other skin irritations during winter.
A WINTER FAVOURITE: This is our Just for You Eczema and Psoriasis Crème. You might be saying, "But I don't suffer from eczema or psoriasis." I understand, however, as I mentioned, my clients have found this as a great crème to use throughout winter to both rehydrate your skin and prevent those annoying rashes that seem to pop up when your body is covered up.
To see all of the Just for You Range, check out: https://juliedoherty.net/products/
If you have any questions, I would love to hear from you. Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org