During flu season, it is difficult to keep your symptoms at bay once you have contracted the virus. Moreover, certain over-the-counter medications can cause nausea because your body is not used to being so weak, in addition to a multitude of side effects caused by these drugs.
There have been several studies conducted to prove that specific supplements effectively combat the symptoms of the flu during flu season. Even if you are not able to avoid the virus completely, you might still be able to boost your immune system and prevent some of the symptoms from prospering.
Symptoms of a cold or the flu are often treated together, rather than as separate entities. One of the reason for this is the resemblance between the symptoms of both conditions, even when the severity and causes are different.
Supplements for Flue Season
Here are some of the supplements that might be of help during flu season:
- Vitamin C – This is one the common supplements used to manage a cold or the flu. Some studies report that this supplement can reduce the severity and duration of a cold. It also helps to prevent a cold in people that can be triggered by the cold weather.
- Echinacea – This supplement is reported to reduce the severity and duration of a cold by up to 30%. Among the different species, Echinacea purpurea is found to be more effective in alleviating the symptoms.
- Zinc – Different forms of zinc, like zinc citrate, zinc gluconate, and zinc sulfate are commonly used to treat a common cold. Zinc lozenges are particularly useful to reduce symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections.
- Garlic – Garlic is known to improve immunity power, and it can fight viral infections.
- Ginseng – Ginseng works by boosting the immune system and reducing the chances of contracting a cold or the flu during flu season. Panax ginseng is known to increase the effectiveness of the flu vaccine.
- Andrographis – Also known as ‘Indian echinacea’, is used to improve immunity and alleviate the symptoms of a cold. When it is taken for a long period of time, this supplement is found to reduce the risk of contracting a cold.
These supplements are either taken individually or in combination with others to combat a cold or the flu. Other remedies commonly used include kiwi, astragalus, and boneset.