- The correlation between age and erectile dysfunction
- Whether erectile dysfunction usually occurs at a specific age
At What Age Does Erectile Dysfunction Normally Occur?
Erectile dysfunction affects men across all age brackets. It is possible for men both young and old to suffer from it. However the risks associated with ED increase as you get older. This is because as you grow older, the probability of contracting other chronic conditions associated with erectile dysfunction also increases.
As men grow older, it takes them longer to become sexually stimulated. Research done reports that few men within the age of twenty and thirty report cases of erectile dysfunction. The number increases as you get to the age bracket of forty and fifty. For men who are beyond sixty, the percentage of those who still have healthy sexual functionality declines.
What Other Factors Cause ED?
It is important to note that cases of erectile dysfunction are less pronounced in men who exercise regularly. This is so even for older men. This is because exercises lower the chances of other chronic conditions that can cause ED.
Obesity and obsessive TV-watching have also been found to be triggers for ED. Other chronic conditions such as diabetes mellitus and hypertension also increase an individual's chances of erectile dysfunction.
What are the ED Risk Factors to Avoid?
There are several risk factors that raise the stakes of getting erectile dysfunction. Some of the risk factors include:
- Smoking, binge-drinking and taking illegal drugs. Most young men who get ED usually smoke, drink excessively, or consume illegal drugs. Substance abuse makes you vulnerable to ED as well as other chronic health conditions. To be safe, keep away from such substances.
- Ingesting foods with high levels of cholesterol. Such meals increase the fat content in your body, potentially causing atherosclerosis. This can in turn lead to erection difficulties when blood vessels that supply blood to the penis become clogged.
- Lack of exercise. Not exercising can cause obesity. Exercise is therefore important, ensuring that your health condition remains at its best. Avoid poor lifestyle choices such as spending a lot of time watching television.
What Should You Do If You Experience Erection Difficulties?
Erectile dysfunction is occasionally experienced in a man’s life especially as he grows older. The cause can be psychological or physical. If you have trouble getting an erection, you can conduct a simple self-test to see if it is due to physical problems or psychological issues.
If the problem persists, you should go and see a doctor for further tests to determine the exact diagnosis of your condition. The doctor may conduct a series of tests which may involve a physical examination and an evaluation of your erections during sleep. It may also be necessary to conduct other tests to see if the cause may be other underlying health problems such as diabetes mellitus or atherosclerosis.
The Bottom Line
Erectile dysfunction should be considered a potential threat across all ages. It should be thoroughly analyzed and tested to ensure that any other harmful conditions associated with it are detected and treated also. Any patient who has concerns about his erectile functionality should share his concerns with a doctor in order to determine the way forward.