There are a number of simple lifestyle changes that are helpful in improving your energy levels and keep you tuned in for the entire day. These simple strategies may take some time to become habitual, but once you get the hang of it you will see immediate results.
- Energy foods – Foods rich in carbohydrates only energize you temporary, and can leave you famished shortly after. Whole grain crackers, whole wheat sandwiches and low-fat cheese are the best options. The key is to sustain the levels of blood glucose levels in your body without big spikes or dips.
- Healthy breakfast – Eating high fiber, carbohydrate-rich breakfast provides the energy boost to keep you satisfied longer. High fiber cereals and whole wheat bread are ideal choices in this category.
- Short breaks throughout the day – Taking short breaks helps to clear fatigue and improve alertness. Studies show that short breaks of five to ten minutes helps to improve the energy levels considerably. This is sure to improve the speed, accuracy and overall productivity.
- Be active – Take short brisk walks to keep away the fatigue and feel energized. Though when you are sleepy the last thing you might want to do is go for a walk. Be assured that walking for ten minutes increases the energy levels for the next two hours, say experts. You'll never hear someone say after a walk, "Oh I wish I hadn't done that!"
- Meditation – Meditating for a short period of time is ideal to calm the brain and improve the spirits. Mini-meditation helps to replenish energy levels and to take control of it. This helps to relax and bring in more of positive thoughts.
- Be positive – Having positive thoughts and surrounding yourselves by positive people is ideal for increasing the energy levels in mind. Stress is the most important factor in reducing energy levels of a person. Presence of negative thoughts in mind or being in the company of a negative person is enough to make a person stressed out. When you find yourself letting negative thoughts in, put up a mental stop sign, switch gears and change your thinking at that moment.
- Eat foods rich in whole grains since those foods will keep you alert and full longer.
- Be sure to get up and walk around throughout your work day to stay alert.