Plastic Surgeon Questions Scars

How to correct a scar that is present between the eyebrows?

I have a scar arising out of a stitch that has come due to an accidental injury. The scar runs through my eyebrows and looks very odd and ugly. Is there a way that I can get the scar corrected? Is surgery the only way?

12 Answers

Hello, it depends on the degree of the scarring. If it’s severe, you may need scar revision surgery. If not, there are noninvasive procedures such as Morpheus and creams to diminish the scar. You can also visit my website at for further information and assistance. Good luck to you!
There are several ways to improve the appearance of facial scars. It depends on location, size, shape and direction. Lasers can be used to blend the scars with the surrounding structure, techniques such as dermabrasion can also achieve the same result. However, sometimes surgery is the only option. It is important to know that no matter what technique is used, there will never be a scar free result. We can only hope to improve the appearance of the scar so that it is not noticeable.
I suggest you seek consult from a board certified plastic surgeon. They would be able to evaluate the scar in person and suggest your treatment options.
Scars in that area can be treated with a variety of approaches ranging from non-surgical to surgical. And most of the time, it is very possible to provide proper treatment during scar maturation in order to minimize the appearance. If you would like a personalized consultation, please call 514-941-5562 for an appt.
There are many was to improve scars: re-excision, Injections and laser treatments. I would recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who offers these treatments.

Best Regards,
Dr Gartner
Thanks for your question. Obviously, if I saw the scar, I would be able to give a complete answer. However, some scars can be treated with laser rather than surgery. First step is to have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
To correct a scar, especially on the face, you can either do scar revision (surgery) or use CO2, laser energy to improve the scar, maybe one to three times spaced 4 to 6 months apart.
That is a difficult question to answer without a photograph or to see you in person, which is even better!

One cannot "correct" a scar, but there are a number of things, including surgery that can be helpful in minimizing or camouflaging the scar. Laser therapy, IPL treatments, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, hair transplantation, could be other options.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good Luck!
Usually a scar revision will help for a blemish resulting from poor healing after a laceration (cut). You should seek the advice of a Board certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and advice. You may be told to wait a period of up to 6 months for the initial scarring to settle down; but results of scar revisions within hair bearing areas of the face are usually excellent. Unfortunately, surgery is probably the only way to correct your problem, if the disfigurement persists after 6 months.
Lacerations that injure hair follicles can leave a wide scar. There are also muscular forces working on the healing process. Frequently, scar revision surgically is the best option, especially if there is a gap in the hairline. I also do lasers for scars outside the hairline.

William A. Stefani, MD
It is hard to tell you much without being able to assess the scar in person. Generally, scar revision involves cutting out the old scar to get a better scar. If the original cut involved the eyebrow, even small gaps in the eyebrow hair or misalignment of the borders will draw the eye. Sometimes there might be a role for hair transplant or tattooing. I would seek out a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery to be evaluated in person and discuss the various options available to you.

Good luck!
Wendell G. Miles, M.D., F.A.C.S.
The most effective way to improve your scar is with a surgical revision. Any lesser option will yield an inferior result. Be sure to select a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.