Sports Medicine Specialist Questions Shoulder pain

I have a bad pain in my shoulders after playing handball. What should I do to get relief from the pain?

I have a pain in my shoulders after I played a game of handball with a few of my buddies. What should I do to get relief from this pain?

3 Answers

Use ice and an over the counter anti inflammatory, as long as there are no contraindications to the medication. If you are healthy enough for handball, then you should get a diagnosis, and be evaluated by a good orthopedic surgeon.
I would start with an anti-inflammatory like Advil or alleve and take it for 7-10 days. If no better, then I would see an orthopedic doctor.

Jody Smith
When pain or discomfort occur bilaterally, or on both sides, from activity, one typically can attribute the pain to overuse as the likelihood of the same injury to each side is rare although not impossible. Therefore, a treatment focused on overuse should suffice. Try resting the shoulders or even modifying how often and how long you play your activity. Apply ice to both shoulders several times a day and for 10-15 minutes each time. Over the counter NSAIDS, if not contraindicated, can be helpful if approved by your primary care physician. Rehab for the shoulders can also help prevent this from recurring.

Usually a little activity modification, ice, NSAIDS and some rehab will allow you to stay active. Good luck!