Ophthalmologist Questions Stye

My daughter is 3 years old and currently has swelling in her left eye. Is this a sty?

My daughter was unwell and was on antibiotics for the last 6 days. Now she is doing much better and has recovered from the infection. However, she has swelling below her left eye which looks like a sty. Should I still consider consulting a pediatrician?

10 Answers

See an ophthalmologist.
Hello concerned mother,

Here are 2 scenarios:
1: The swelling is at the eyelid margin at the root of an eyelash. It is red and tender. Child complains of pain Dx. Style. Treat with warm compress. Do not try to squeeze.
Use Antibiotic ointment. Your physician may epilate the eyelash and release the pus. Use topical antibiotics for a few days till it resolves. Keep eyelashes clean.

2: Swelling is round, mobile, non tender, at the margin or on the eye lid. No pain. Dx. Chalazion. Treat with warm compress at least 20-30 minutes twice daily. Often times 4-6 weeks. Continue the same until it begins to leak. Be patient. Do not squeeze.
No need to consult an ophthalmologist.

Hope this helps,
It would be best to see a doctor because children occasionally develop presepal cellulitis after a cold. A presentable cellulitis usually requires antibiotics.
However if it’s localised then it might just be a chalazion which doesn’t usually require intervention especially when it involves the lower lid only. But considering the history I wouldn’t be too keen to make a diagnosis of chalazion without seeing the child.
I would definitely check with your pediatrician to confirm this to be a chalazion or hordeolum. These are blockages of glands that supply oils to the surface of the tear to prevent evaporation of the underneath water layer that is the lubricant and is over the mucous layer that makes the tear structure stick to the cornea. If these glands get infected, the oils they produce don’t flow and the result is often the chalazion or hordeolum.

Treatment is often to roll up a wash cloth like a shushi and dip it into warm (not hot) water, squeeze out the drips and place on the closed eye for 30 seconds. Remove, replace in warm waters down, repeat for another 30 seconds. Continue that routine for 5 minutes and do that for five minutes, 4 times a day.

Your doctor may ask you to take an antibiotic eye drop after each session. The lump should go away within a week. If not, check with an ophthalmologist.

Roger Ohanesian, MD
Absolutely! While it may be a small infection, commonly known as a stye, it may be something far more concerning given her recent illness. I recommend a face-to-face evaluation with either her pediatrician, urgent care, or eye-care specialist.
No, you should consider seeing an opthalmologist.

Regards/Vriendelike Groete,

You should go to a general or pediatric ophthalmologist and treat the chalazion or anterior stye. Without pictures I would try warm compresses for 4 minutes and local massage for 10 seconds 4Xdy and see the above recommended physicians
Most styes will drain with application of warm, moist compresses (using a clean washcloth, of course!) A stye is an infection at the pore/opening site to a Meibomian oil gland of the eyelid. Insufficiently treated, it can lead to a chalazion, conjunctivitis, or cellulitis.
It's best to see an eye doctor if it's a sty.
Warm compress should help. If it doesn't get better, you should see an ophthalmologist.