Neurologist Questions Vertigo

What is the possible treatment for vertigo?

My mother is 56 years old and experiences vertigo. What can we do to treat it? Is there a permanent treatment for vertigo?

7 Answers

There are a number of medicines that can treat vertigo. Occasionally electrical stimulation helps. Sometimes nothing helps. Would start with you family doctor who can decide if you need referral to ENT or Neurology first. Good luck!
Balance therapy is the best permanent treatment for vertigo.
First of all, some attempt should be made to ascertain the cause of the vertigo and to determine whether it is of central or peripheral nervous system origin (brain vs. inner ear). If it is of peripheral origin, performing some positional exercises as well as the use of medications (3g Meclizine or Transderm Scopolamine patches) may be helpful. If of central nervous system origin, further workup to include brain neuroimaging studies would be needed, and the problem may be lessened by medications, but will not respond to positional exercises. More definitive treatment for the C.N.S. problem may also be needed. The patient should have a consultation with a neurologist for initial diagnosis and treatment.
It depends on what's causing the vertigo. Need to make sure whether it's coming from the inner ear or from the brain to be able to see if it can be treated.
There are treatments, but it depends on what the cause of the vertigo is. Recommend that she be evaluated by a Neurologist, and get neuroimaging such as brain MRI/MRA.
At this age, most common cause could be BPV "Benign Positional Vertigo" caused by otoliths lodged in the ampulla of the ear, ask your doctor to perform "Epley's Maneuver", which is diagnostic and therapeutic. If it resolves your vertigo, then learn it to do it yourself, it is very easy. If not, then a neurological workup is indicated.
Assuming that the vertigo is secondary to a disorder in the inner ear (semicircular canal) and not the brain stem, vertigo can be managed by a physical therapist trained in vestibular rehabilitation. In some cases, a potassium sparing diuretic called Diamox may be helpful.