What you are on the outside largely depends on what you consume internally. There are definitely a number of other factors such as lifestyle habits like smoking, tanning, drinking, or genetic factors that to a large extent contribute to how your skin will look or feel. However, these things do not mean you can never enjoy a flawless complexion and glowing skin. There are a number of cosmetics and creams that you may invest into bettering your complexion, but the fact remains that good skin and nutrition for the skin does not come packaged in a mere bottle. While creams, lotions, and packs can externally make your skin look healthy, real health and beauty of your skin should come from within. A lot of this depends on what you have to eat and drink throughout your day.
Whether you are fighting acne, wrinkles, or just everyday skin woes, consuming a balanced diet can go a long way in preventing any of these skin issues and contribute greatly towards the healthy and flawless skin. A lot of research has been done regarding finding out what kinds of foods that - when incorporated in everyday eating - can help fight the woes your skin faces every day. Proper nourishment through food can help in fighting the inflammatory genes a person has and helps to build strong and healthy tissues.
How Do Foods Promote Good Skin?
Foods function inside our body and as the nutrients from food reach the various cells and tissues of the body, they provide internal benefits that are necessary to keep the body young and functioning optimally. There are some foods which are described as super foods for their amazing benefits. They not only provide the various functions of your body, but also to your skin.
Top 12 Foods for Healthy Skin
Here are the top 12 super foods that have wondrous benefits to the skin and should be a part of your everyday diet to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
1. Tomatoes: Lycopene, which is the phytochemical responsible for the vibrant red hue that tomatoes have, is extremely helpful in boosting collagen in the skin. Collagen is a special protein present in the skin which gives the skin its youthful appearance and fights the oxidizing effect of the harmful UV rays of the sun.
2. Carrots: Carrots are foods that are packed with multiple health benefits. Great for the eyes and clearing up skin breakouts, carrots are filled with beta-carotene and vitamin A, which is an essential antioxidant that prevents the excessive production of skin cells in the outer layer of the skin. This just brings about a lesser accumulation of dead flaky cells and sebum clogging the skin pores. Vitamin A is also essential in preventing the growth of skin cancer cells.
3. Fatty Fish: Fishes that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids are known to be filled with amazing beauty benefits including healthy skin and hair. The oils from the fish keep the skin oils intact and prevent drying that could eventually lead to premature aging.
4. Red Bell Peppers: Red bell peppers actually contain more vitamin C for the skin than oranges. When the harmful UV rays of the sun hit our skin, they tend to create some free radicals which circulate within the skin and can cause a serious DNA damage that eventually results in aging. The antioxidants attach themselves to free radicals, which neutralize them so as to prevent them from causing any form of damage. Loading the skin with bell peppers helps in keeping the skin young and disease free.
5. Spinach: Spinach not only provides strength but is also a key ingredient in age prevention. Spinach is rich in beta carotene, which eventually turns into a powerful anti-aging ingredient - Vitamin A - that allows appropriate absorption of moisture into the epidermis that eventually prevents the occurrence of wrinkles and helps in removing dead skin.
6. Coconut: The natural water contained in coconuts provides excellent hydration for the skin. It also contains potassium, which is an electrolyte responsible for moving nutrients within our skin cells. Coconut oil, which is rich in healthy fats and other minerals like vitamin E and K, is one the best sources of nourishment for healthy skin and hair.
7. Avocado: Whole avocados and avocado oil contain large amounts of vitamins like A, D, and E as well as the healthy omega 9 fatty acids, all of which contribute towards healthy and glowing skin. These nutrients and minerals help in making the skin even when made a regular part of the diet.
8. Eggs: Whether you enjoy them as a part of your salad, cooked or simply boiled, eggs are wondrous sources of proteins that are excellent for promoting the health of your skin and your hair. One of the most important ingredients that eggs contain is sulfur, which is a required nutrient that helps in better absorption of vitamin B that is critical for the liver to perform a detox function. Sulfur is also required for the production of collagen, which helps the skin stay young.
9. Garlic: Garlic is a wonder medicine from mother nature that helps the body in various ways. Garlic prevents breakouts of the skin and helps keep the skin clear and youthful. Incorporate garlic in your every day diet, not only to get the most of its flavor but also derive the best of its antibiotic compounds for a healthier skin and body.
10. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are loaded with nutrients like zinc and other vitamins like A, K, and omega 3 fatty acids which are all the base for healthy skin and hair. The vitamin C content is also very high in pumpkin seeds that are essential for boosting sebum, a natural oil present in the skin which helps in protecting and repairing the skin keeping in tout and youthful.
11. Pineapple: Pineapples are not just a delicious treat for a hot summer afternoon, but are also known to be one of the most effective skin toners. The fruit is rich in vitamin C and an enzyme known as bromeliad, which acts as a skin softener. Drinking the juice from a pineapple or just eating the fruit helps the body synthesize collagen that is important for the skin structure and the vitamin C and amino acids help the skin cells and tissue repair to give out a radiant look and feel. Add pineapple every day to your breakfast or snack regime for optimum benefits.
12. Green Tea: Green tea is a powerful drink that helps in fighting acne by lowering the levels of the acne-producing hormone known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Drinking green tea throughout the day helps get maximum benefits for the skin from this drink. The drink is also loaded with antioxidants that not only help your body to act better but also helps the skin look and feel younger and healthier.