One of the leading cosmetic surgery procedures performed in the US is breast augmentation. According to research, approximately 307,000 women received breast implants in 2011. Many of the surgeries were different, and the reasons for the surgeries also varied. The majority of women who decide to undergo breast augmentation, however, do it for one of the following reasons:
1. Disproportionately small breasts
Micromastia is a disorder whereby the breasts of a woman fail to develop fully after reaching puberty. Micromastia has no absolute definition, since the sizes of breasts vary a lot, but it is defined by comparing with the average sizes of breasts and self-perception of the women. Those who have micromastia mostly experience a lot of embarrassment regarding their situation. With breast implants, such women gain greater confidence and a fuller figure.
2. One breast being bigger than the other
The majority of women have breasts that are asymmetrical due to uneven levels of estrogen, growth spurts at puberty, micromastia, and other factors. Although this is a rare condition, it can greatly impact the appearance of a woman. To even out their figures, the majority of women prefer to have breast augmentation.
3. Recent loss of weight
After a significant loss of weight, the perky and full shape of women’s breasts may be lost. With breast augmentation, they can have a fuller chest while they maintain their healthy weight and waistlines that are smaller.
4. Change of breast’s shape after pregnancy
Although it is a good thing to lose baby weight, certain women realize that their breasts become smaller or droop after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Breast implants help restore the pre-baby body. Also note that in case one becomes pregnant again, the health of the child and the ability to breastfeed are not affected by the breast implants.
5. Having had a mastectomy
Those who have undergone a mastectomy due to breast cancer or other severe disorders mostly wish to have their healthy and full figure back. Breast reconstruction involves more than a simple augmentation. Although there is an implant placement, there is also skin grafting and an areola and nipple reconstruction.
6. To boost sex life
Studies suggest that those who have breast implants normally have higher sexual arousal levels and satisfaction. Forty-five women took part in this study prior to and after surgery. After the procedure, 36 out of the 45 women reported a big boost in their sex lives.
7. Clothes to fit better
The majority of clothes for women are made for a size C cup. Although better fashion is not a strong reason to have breast implants, it can enhance the quality of a woman’s life when combined with other factors.
8. To appear younger
The majority of women realize their breasts start to become smaller and sag as they age. Breast augmentation, particularly combined with a breast lift, can give a woman back her perky and youthful appearance.
9. Confident about the decision
Deciding to have breast augmentation is a very personal decision, and it should be considered carefully. You should never decide to have breast implants to please somebody else or to fulfill their expectations. Breast augmentation can, however, significantly impact the lives of women in a positive way when considered carefully.
Making the right decision
Ensure your reasons are personal when you decide to have breast augmentation surgery. Do not agree to it if someone is persuading you to undergo breast augmentation if you do not want it. Also, it is crucial to manage your breast augmentation expectations by understanding how the procedure works now and later. Although breast augmentation may boost your self-esteem and make you feel better regarding yourself, it will not change anything else regarding your life.
Being a surgery, breast augmentation should be considered carefully. Afterward, you will have discomfort and pain. You should also know that breast implants do not last for a lifetime, so a second surgery may be required later.
Some maintenance is also required. For instance, if you decide to have breast implants filled with silicone gel, you will require an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the breasts 3 years after the procedure and later every 2 years to identify ruptures.
Ensure you discuss why you want to have breast augmentation with a plastic surgeon that is certified. This allows your surgeon to determine whether or not what you want is realistic.
What to know before undergoing breast augmentation
- Your initial breast surgery may not be the last one. Since implants do not last for a lifetime, 25% of women will require a second surgery after ten years. With time, the implants can start leaking or a scar shell could form around it. Pregnancy, change in preference, and loss of weight are factors that contribute to a second surgery.
- The cost is approximately $3,678. According to research, this cost is for the fee of the surgeon and does not incorporate the cost of facilities, anesthesia, and materials. The cost also depends on the patient, surgeon, and region.
- Individuals will only take 5-7 days from work to undergo the surgery. Although you may not feel completely normal after that period, you are capable of going back to work. If your implant has been placed at the back of the muscle instead of placed on the top, you will take a longer time period to recover.
- Compared with real breasts, breasts with implants are different to the touch. Although breasts filled with silicone may resemble real breasts, they still don’t feel natural, since they are artificial.
- Before settling on a boob size, you can try on different ones. You can use "sizers," which are neoprene sacks filled with beads, to get an idea of what size of breast you would like.
- It is not possible to go from small to big all at once. You cannot go from a small A cup to DD cup in one procedure. Since your skin and body require time to adjust to the big changes, your surgeon will suggest only a couple sizes of cups initially, and later the size of the implant can be increased.
- Breast reduction and augmentation could potentially affect your nursing ability later in life. The data for women who receive implants is not clear, since the majority of women with implants decide not to nurse. For those with an areola incision, they have a small chance of their minor ducts getting damaged and the areola complex disconnecting with the major gland portion, therefore making you incapable of nursing your child. Those with incisions at the breasts’ creases or underarms will not experience any problems.
- After a breast reduction or augmentation, the feeling in the nipples may be lost. Anytime the breasts are operated on, there can be loss of sensation to the nipples. This is determined by several factors, such as the type of the surgery and shape of the breast. Your nipples will still be able to react to stimulation and cold, even when the sensation is lost.
- Not every plastic surgeon is trustworthy and certified. Do a very thorough research on surgeons before deciding on the one to perform your surgery. Ensure first that the surgeon is certified with the Board of Plastic Surgery. The surgeon should also be a member of Plastic Surgeon’s Society. The surgeon you settle on should also have experience in the form of surgery you want. Inquire for before and after pictures of their work. Speak to other individuals who have worked with him, if possible.
Breast augmentation can be done for a variety of reasons, but it is important to understand that there are possible complications, as is true with any surgery.
- The majority of women have breasts that are asymmetrical due to uneven levels of estrogen, growth spurts at puberty, micromastia, and other factors
- Studies suggest that those who have breast implants normally have higher sexual arousal levels and satisfaction
- Being a surgery, breast augmentation should be considered carefully