Protonix usually works effectively to relieve symptoms such as acidity, swallowing trouble, and continuous cough. It helps reduce the acid build-up in the stomach and esophagus and helps prevent ulcers. In certain cases, you can also treat stomach and intestinal ulcers with the use of Protonix. What's more, evidence exists of its effectiveness in treating cancer of the esophagus. Medical professionals recommend regular, undisturbed use of Protonix if you want observable results.
Some instructions for the use of Protonix or correct consumption are as follows:
- Protonix should be consumed as per the directions of the treating doctor. Read the instructions on the label of your prescription meticulously. Be very careful to not take the medicine in quantities that differ from the ones recommended.
- If you do miss a dose, do not panic and take an extra dose. Just take your regular dose whenever you do remember. It might also help to set an alarm on your smart phone to remind you to take your medication.
- In case of the medication in granular form, the same should be consumed 30 minutes before a meal. For oral consumption, the granules must be mixed with applesauce or apple juice. Do not mix with other foods or liquids. Do your best to avoid chewing them.
- In some cases, you may observe the need to consume antacids along with Protonix. If you are on sucralfate medication, pantoprazole should be taken at least 30 minutes before sucralfate.
Protonix can take up to a week to show its effects. However, consult your doctor if you find it ineffectual. This could be because of certain other drugs you might be taking, which interact with pantoprazole. They can render it ineffective, or reduce its potency.
Always inform your doctor about your current medications and those that are started or stopped during your treatment with Protonix. Below are some of the drugs that your doctor must get full disclosure on:
- Mycophenolate mofetil
- HIV or AIDS medicines
- Medications with iron content
In general, Protonix is a great solution for treating hyperacidity or acidic dyspepsia. Heartburn or GERD are some of the other names that hyperacidity is known by. Depending on the situation, this may or may not be a long-term or chronic problem. Hyperacidity is a condition wherein the stomach produces excessive acids. This can be due to medications, wrong lifestyle habits, stress and foods containing excess spice.
Hyperacidity has a number of signs and symptoms. The common ones being: chronic stomach pain, nausea, not feeling hungry, bloating and heartburn. In some cases the condition could aggravate and cause other complications such as severe indigestion and gastric ulcers.
Following are the common signs of acidity:
- Respiratory issues
- Persistent cough
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain in the stomach and chest
- Stomach ulcers
- Ear pain
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Pain as one contracts muscles
In infants, insufficient weight and refusing food are possible signs of hyperacidity.
Hyperacidity can be caused by:
- Medications- If you have been on a medication for a long time, you could be susceptible to hyperacidity. Some anti-inflammatory drugs in particular can result in acidity problems.
- Drinking- If you are a social drinker suffering from hyperacidity, you may want to consider stopping or further limiting your liquor consumption.
- Smoking- Smoking is famous for causing for many illnesses, disorders and maladies. Hyperacidity is one of them.
- Unhealthy eating- What you eat has a great impact on your well-being. In taking of oily and fried foods on a frequent basis can cause acidity.
- Stress- Stress is another major factor that can lead to hyperacidity. Stress can be caused by many lifestyle choices. It is important to release stress and decompress. Regular meditation and breathing exercises, as well as indulging in cardiovascular exercises, can release and reduce stress.
Other causes of acidity include pregnancy, obesity, aging and fasting.
Acidity problems can be insidious if not dealt with on time, and they can adversely affect you day-to-day existence. An alarming number of people suffer from dyspeptic and digestion-related diseases. A good percentage of them experience GERD and concomitant problems quite frequently and recurrently. While it is true that Protonix offers repose and relief, and is indeed quite effective, caution must be exercised while using Protonix or any other medication.
Major Side Effects
Overusing Protonix can cause major side effects. In case you experience any of the below mentioned side effects, you must speak to your doctor immediately:
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Flushed, dry skin
- Fruit-like breath odor
- Increased hunger or increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Troubled breathing
- Unexplained weight loss
Alternatively, side-effects could also manifest as follows:
- Listlessness or tiredness
- Difficulty in movement
- Impairment of sight
- Blisters, calloused skin or loose and flabby skin
- Inexplicable bloating
- Passing blood through urine, or a turbid appearance of urine
- Passage of blood through stool or tarry, clumpy stool
- Continuous ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Speech impairment and difficulty while speaking
- Finding swallowing difficult
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Heartbeat racing without provocation
- Feeling disoriented
- Greatly decreased frequency of urination or amount of urine
- Hearing loss
- Hives, itching, or skin rash
- Loss of appetite
- Mood or mental changes
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle pain or stiffness
- Muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching
- Pale skin
- Puffiness of the eyelids and the eye region, face, lips, or tongue
- Red skin lesions or rashes
- Red, swollen and burning eyes
- Sore throat
- Sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- Swelling of the feet or lower legs
- Swollen glands
- Tightness in the chest
- Halitosis or unpleasant breath
- Vomiting of blood
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
Some of the side effects associated with pantoprazole do not require any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine, and acclimates to the new change, these side effects may disappear. Your doctor may be the best guide to help you cope or prevent these side effects. Do discuss with your doctor if the side effects are persistent or bothersome.
At the end of the day, one must remember that the best treatment to dealing with GERD or hyperacidity is a positive lifestyle change. Protonix helps, but it is best to be used as a supplement and bolster it by making the necessary changes in your life. This will not only help you in getting rid of the malaise of acidity, but also ensure a healthier, better body and mind.