Healthy Living

What Type of Doctor Should I Contact if I Have Heat Rash?

Heat Rash

What Type of Doctor Should I Contact if I Have Heat Rash?

Miliaria is the other name for heat rash. Once you have the condition, you will experience some symptoms where most of them appear on the skin. It is believed to affect most children but is an infection that affects all ages.

For children, heat rash is caused by underdeveloped sweat ducts that are not able to excrete enough sweat from the body. This ineffective excretion of sweat leads to the accumulation of sweat in the inner layers of the skin. It is also brought about by excess sweating.

People staying in humid areas are in the risk of having the condition. Subjecting your body to too much heat that may cause sweating can also be a cause of developing a heat rash.

How will I know if I have heat rash?

Having prickly heat happens to many people, but it is known to disappear within a short time. However, some people find it difficult to identify the condition. It is accompanied by a number of symptoms wherein 90% of them are skin-related. Sometimes, people can confuse these symptoms with those caused by other infections of the skin. Here are some of the symptoms to observe before you visit a doctor:

  • Prickly and itchy feeling on the affected area
  • Minimal or no sweating at all in the affected areas
  • Formation of red or pink bumps on the skin
  • Burning skin sensation
  • Swelling around the affected areas
  • Skin irritation

Miliaria can affect any part of the body provided that there are sweat glands. The most common areas include the neck, face, stomach, thighs, fingers, and the back. Areas where there is skin folding are also affected. These are beneath the breasts and the scrotum.

Once you experience such symptoms, it is possible to rule out that you have heat rash. By changing the environment, especially if you are staying in hot areas, the symptoms should disappear within a few days. Applying cooling methods such as regularly taking cold baths should make the condition go away.

If you experience an increase in the severity of the symptoms such as increasing pain or swelling on the affected skin part, you should seek medical attention from a dermatologist.

Who Is a Dermatologist?

A dermatologist refers to a doctor or medical specialist whose specialization is on dermatology. Dermatology is the study of skin and skin diseases. A dermatologist will be able to examine your skin to ascertain the condition and rule out the possibility of another infection.

What to Expect from a Dermatologist

Since heat rash can be accompanied by other underlying infections of the skin, a dermatologist will carry out a number of tests to diagnose and treat the condition based on the following factors:

  • Medical history:  helps in knowing the type of heat rash you are experiencing. It also contributes in identifying the causes of the condition such as medications.
  • Symptoms experienced: you will be required to explain the symptoms you are experiencing to help the doctor recommend the best treatment.
  • Examinations: Blood tests can be carried out to help the doctor detect any bacteria that might be affecting your skin. It will also assist in identifying other infections. 

The Bottom Line

Visiting a dermatologist is always advisable, especially if the symptoms persist. It also helps in the identification of the real cause of your condition.